scared much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasquirrel01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to SCUBA, I'm AOW qualified with the SAA, I qualified in October. I have done about 30 dives, of which about 20 are post qualifying.

I've done about 3 sea dives and this weekend, myself, my partner (we qualified together, he's done about 40 dives) and three or so members of our dive club are going on a boat trip into UK waters. The others on the trip are instructors, though this is not a training dive. My instructor, who is not going feels I have the skills to go and that I will enjoy it. I also trust myself with my kit, skills and ability to stay in my training capabilities unless specifically "under instruction". However, I am terrified! I've a week to go and I'm already getting the nervous poops :(

I'm generally a nervous diver, though the nerves go once I'm below the surface and I am in control of myself. I am not reliant on my buddy and don't bolt to the surface and stick to my buddy like glue (no wandering off following pretty fish for me!). I'm also worried about ruining dives for the more experienced ones if they feel they have to look after me.

I'd welcome any tips for keeping calm and addressing my nerves. I'll also mention I'm terrified of boats, and not being able to see the bottom! (great choice of hobby!) But once I'm under water I'm happy as larry till the safety stop staring into the blue abyss!

It sounds as if you have reasonable scuba skills, but that you just are not really comfortable in the water. I think working on your swimming skills especially off shore might help you. The thing is to get out into a situation that is similar to what is bothering you but not challenging enough to terrify you. Getting confidence can help most people. Start off easy and slowly increase the challenge.

Yeah, stop thinking. Sounds like your head is getting in the way.

Why not slow down and just do dives you are confident with. 30 dives is not a lot and you are your own best guide if you are ready or not. Most of us just do this for fun after all. It may be worth discussing specific issues that are of concern, here, or with your instructors, and see if you can get them resolved. As your experience grows some of the details of the dive will become more automatic and there will be less stress, but that takes time. Different amounts for everyone.

I guess you could try to not look down during the safety stop. Maybe do some math in your head or something. But putting more dives under your weight belt should get rid of that nervousness.

Like going to the dentist, don't make you appointment too far in advance. It gives you too much time to think about it. I suggest that you smoke some weed and calm down.

this is great... going diving like going to the dentist?

I want the number of your dentist... wait a moment, I bet the weed has something to do with this analogy. I'll keep it in mind... after retirement I won't have to worry about drug test.

Like going to the dentist, don't make you appointment too far in advance. It gives you too much time to think about it. I suggest that you smoke some weed and calm down.

WHAT? :rofl3::idk::no:

Nebulous fears are very difficult to resolve. Write them all down. Determine which are reasonable [unlikely to be attacked by Jaws], then work out a course of action for those. Decide if you are properly equipped to do. Keep surprises to a minimum. Condition yourself to think before you act. Focused thought will help get you out of trouble, not cause it.

If you're terrified about not seeing the bottom, don't dwell on looking that way. If diving next to an endless wall, pretend it's a horizontal plane instead.

For boats, determine origin of fear. Doubt they scare you in the parking lot.

By the way, nothing wrong with being scared, but you must control it, not the other way around.

It works for me.

How about 2 safety stops? The first at half your max depth and the second in the normal manner...the more you do it the better you get type of thinking...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom