Scared the s..t out of me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pvscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
On a dive at Los Arcos, one of my customer gave the biggest scare of my career as a diving instructor:

The dive: Los Arcos National Underwater Park south wall in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
Depth: average 70 ft
Divers: 8. Leader (instructor), 3 buddy pairs (customers), rear (instructor)
Viz: 20 ft viz down to 40 ft depth, 80-100 ft below that.

The dive started great and everything was well: good divers, disciplined buddies, etc. Our our way up at the end of the dive, at about 35 ft, one of the divers in the last buddy pair had an uncontrolled ascent all the way to the surface. Next thing, he decides to come back down to join us again, passes by us, dives almost vertically down, keeps going down and away to about 100 ft.

I was the rear instructor. I had a diving sausage clipped to my BCD, so after finally unclipping it, here I am chasing after him. He had a good head start and I had problems equalizing at about 60 ft and couldn't go down any further. So I'm diving parallel to him going crazy with my rattle and he does not respond, just keeps going. Is he narked? I think.

Take into account that about two months ago there was an accident in this area where 3 divers where lost and their bodies never found, so here I am with a search & rescue operation and having to explain a lost diver situation going on in my mind.

Finally, he decides to stop and look around. He see's me and finally starts coming towards me. We join and go to the surface after a safety stop. By this time he's virtually at ZERO psi.

So what happened? I ask. "My BCD inflator failed" Ok, that explains the uncontrolled ascent (after analyzing the inflator, everything seems to work well. The BCD is new - used 4 or 5 times - so my conclusion is that the inflator did not fail). "Then I went down to look for you". Right! we parted at 35 ft and were on our way up, and he goes to look for us at 100.

Lesson learned: Some people are unpredictable. We, as dive professionals, need to stay alert at all times, for even persons that appear to be disciplined and experienced divers (and have the log book to prove it) can make serious mistakes that could cost them their lives.

His inflator failed to do what, inflate? Did he make any attempts to dump air? Was he actually inflating when he thought he was dumping? Scary story, glad it turned out ok.

I wouldn't be surprised if he mistook his inflater for his deflater, I've done that several times :/ Going back down, and to 100ft though, is insane. Did he have any idea he was that deep, or what his air was? Unpredictable sounds right in this case...

I have personally seen rather new, well maintained inflators fail and the diver going shooting for the surface from over 100ft down. It happens and its no fun. It also happens FAST if you cant correct it quickly. A grain of sand or something similar is all it takes for that inflator to get stuck inflating and a couple of seconds is all itll take to have a problem...

What's the best course of action if your inflator does get stuck? Keep the deflator depressed until you can detach the hose?

What's the best course of action if your inflator does get stuck? Keep the deflator depressed until you can detach the hose?
Detaching your inflator hose would be a good way to go, yeah..

I wonder the % of divers who would know how/be able to detach their inflator hose on a rapid ascent?
Too few, although we did learn it in OW class...

Your bc dump valve should be able to dump and keep up with the inflator untill you disconnect the hose. But be sure to lay back and flair out, this will slow your ascent more than you think.
Kenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom