Scary instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question: What is the max depth of EAN 22? The reason I ask, is it is my understanding that AIR (~21%) has a diver depth limit of ~212fsw for a properly trained diver (please correct if wrong), so would the 200fsw be within the limit of EAN 22?

It depends on what PPO you want to use. I'm pretty sure all agencys are teaching PPO of 1.4 for recreational nitrox. That would be an MOD of 177fsw for 22%. If you want to run a PPO of 1.6 the MOD would be 207fsw. By the time you got to 200fsw you'd already be in deco. One could argue that advanced nitrox would qualify you for this dive, but this whole discussion was based on us being recreational divers.

All in all doing a 200' dive would violate recreational standards on 3 points;

1) Exceeding 130fsw
2) Incurring a deco obligation
3) Exceeding 1.4 PPO

While he might have been an "adequate" basic scuba instructor I'd prefer my instructor be more than adequate. It was obvious in talking with him that he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Any instructor that indicates there are ways to violate the rules they just learned in front of new students is just plain scary.

Last time I heard of an instructor saying such foolish things he took five students in the water with him. Four came back ... they found the other one 10 months later, sticking out of the mud at 205 fsw.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

200ft is common in poorer countries like Truk, not that i'm promoting it at all

Question: What is the max depth of EAN 22? The reason I ask, is it is my understanding that AIR (~21%) has a diver depth limit of ~212fsw for a hopefully properly trained tech diver (please correct if wrong), so would the 200fsw be within the limit of EAN 22?

As has already been pointed out, that's for a ppO2 or 1.6, which shouldn't be done during the working portion of the dive. Most divers will limit their ppO2 to 1.4, others to 1.2

For 21%, pp02 of 1.4, 185 is the commonly accepted max dept.

Darwin - 'NUFF SAID

Let's hope his students come back when he finally does not.

Where can you find 200 FSW in Truk Lagoon?

It's ~210ft to the sand on the San Francisco Maru if I remember correctly.

While I'm not generally a big promoter of deep air, if you're ever going to do it, Truk would be the place -- 85ºF water, great visibility, little to no current, etc. Doing it in cold dark water off the northeast coast isn't something I would consider to be a wonderful idea.

It's ~210ft to the sand on the San Francisco Maru if I remember correctly.

While I'm not generally a big promoter of deep air, if you're ever going to do it, Truk would be the place -- 85ºF water, great visibility, little to no current, etc. Doing it in cold dark water off the northeast coast isn't something I would consider to be a wonderful idea.

I was there last fall and we had some He brought in. We couldn't get 200' anywhere. Maybe if you took a shovel?............ He was about $4.50 a cu ft:depressed::depressed:
Thank god they at least had a booster pump.....
Interestingly, some divers did the San Francisco on air... They told us about the ripping current....in the lagoon...:wink::wink:

Question: What is the max depth of EAN 22?
Thanks,

EAN22 ppO2 of 1.4 = 177ft.
1.6 = 207ft.

Question: What is the max depth of EAN 22? The reason I ask, is it is my understanding that AIR (~21%) has a diver depth limit of ~212fsw for a hopefully properly trained tech diver (please correct if wrong), so would the 200fsw be within the limit of EAN 22?
Hopefully no trained diver would ever even consider depths like this on air. The death list of divers on deep air is waaaay too long already.

Back
Top Bottom