Schools of thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually there are a plethora of people, way more than Netdoc and Co., that are waiting for you to try the things that you have strong opinions about.

I really want to answer this question.

However, NetDoc himself and his army of mods are just waiting for me to try it.:rofl3:

Probably more relevant is the fact that you don't have any GUE training yourself and you would be speaking from a lack of direct personal experience.

Actually there are a plethora of people, way more than Netdoc and Co., that are waiting for you to try the things that you have strong opinions about.

Should we have a draw, pick numbers, or just a "first come, first serve" approach?:wink:

First come, first serve I think.

Well you have to divide the world into 2 groups:

those peoples what matters and those others what dont.

In any political environment comprised of 2 or more individuals, the powers that be always matters. Plato even comments on this in his philosophical treatise on The Republic.

Just as in Heaven, when you die, Thal, and go up to the Pearly Gates, you will see.:eyebrow:

I divide the world into those that do and those that don't. It works better, far more objective.

GUE/DIR diving is largely controversial because of the poor behavior of some of its followers, most notably the internet behavior of George Irvine, former head of the WKPP.

Yes, but it makes for some fun reading. :)

I like the standardized approach GUE offers. The procedures and equipment work well for me in all environments that I dive in.

I most notably like the team focused diving GUE trains to. There is room for some personal "freedoms" in GUE procedures and equipment. Just as long as it doesn't jeopardize the team. If you find something that works for your, but hinders the team. Then it isn't in the best interest of the team/dive goal.

All of which are seemingly wrong. :rofl3:

I'm not so sure I consider cave diving fairly standardized.

As for gear, non redundant bouyancy, stuffing the long hose, mounting backup lights on tanks, butt mounting primary canisters, single tank cave diving, bungeed wings, right handed light holding, no fin straps, etc are all things that don't go along with GUE's training, and it would only take a matter of hours at Ginnie this weekend to see most all of that.

Also, for cave training, it varies tremendously. I took basic and intro under 2 different instructors.

One instructor taught intro as a single day course, did not allow doubles, did not allow a drysuit, taught a "little river leap" where one kicks off of the walls like a frog to progress through the cave system, counted dives <15min towards training dives, only made 4 dives for the entire class, gave almost no prodive briefing before diving devils ear, no land drills were done, no valve drills were done at all, no lost line drill, no lost buddy drill, only one position on the air share etc.

The other instructor encouraged doubles and a drysuit if that's what you were comfortable in, taught cave conservation, every dive was >40 minutes, 7 dives were made during the course, went over every dive in great detail, all drills were done on land first, valve drills were done every dive, lost line drill was done, lost buddy drill was done, air shares were done giving and receiving.

Both of these instructors were NACD instructors. This difference, from a student's perspective, is simply unacceptable.

GUE's training program is standardized, and the general consensus is that they have better quality control. I can't vouch for it personally, but I'm certainly looking their direction for tech 1.

Although gear configuration may be different, procedures are typically the same...at least in my experience of diving with different divers. I'm also speaking more in terms of full cave training.

As for the experience you had with your first instructor, if all that is true, then that person should not be an instructor. It sounds like he shouldn't even be cave diving.

I'm sure as standardized as GUE's courses are, there are some GUE divers that still stray from their training. You'll find that anywhere.

Although gear configuration may be different, procedures are typically the same...at least in my experience of diving with different divers. I'm also speaking more in terms of full cave training.

I'm sure as standardized as GUE's courses are, there are some GUE divers that still stray from their training. You'll find that anywhere.
Agreed, overall it seems to be getting more and more common. I was reading older threads from some forums in the mid 90's, and it's amazing how far we've come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom