Schools of thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to the Shack down in CT and have spoke with Ed. In fact to a great extent that is why I am looking more into this.

So it seems without igniting flaming responses or trolling, the consensus is that GUE seems to be the most en passioned of their own dive philosophy. I cannot deny anyone that establishes a standard and then actually expects people to maintain that standard.

I am not going to get into a philosophical discussion over "do ask I say" and "not as I do" where from the most part, it seems that if you follow the GUE doctrine, it is "do as I say" and "do as I do."

So for everyone the posted, thank you for your input, I now have to go out and meet and dive for real and gather my own experience and judgment, for as much as a discussion board can shed light, nothing subsitutes first hand experience.

So for everyone the posted, thank you for your input, I now have to go out and meet and dive for real and gather my own experience and judgment, for as much as a discussion board can shed light, nothing subsitutes first hand experience.

There's the key. As much as reading about DIR intrigued me, diving with those divers convinced me.

So it seems without igniting flaming responses or trolling, the consensus is that GUE seems to be the most en passioned of their own dive philosophy. I cannot deny anyone that establishes a standard and then actually expects people to maintain that standard.

I am not going to get into a philosophical discussion over "do ask I say" and "not as I do" where from the most part, it seems that if you follow the GUE doctrine, it is "do as I say" and "do as I do."

I would also strongly recommend that when you have a question about "why is such and such done in this fashion" that you ask Ed. You will find that for every single question, there is a coherent and well thought out answer that will make sense. Some of the answers will not be readily apparent at first and that is why you need to ask someone who has taken some advanced GUE instruction as everything starts to come together when you move into the higher training levels. Then it becomes clear that some things which didn't seem like a big deal in the Fundamentals class are actually building blocks for later training and make those steps easier. Too often what you read on the internet is written by people who have either never taken a single GUE class or who have not progressed further up the training ladder and haven't gotten a sense of the "big picture" yet. Personally, the light bulb started to go on in Tech I but in Tech II, it started burning a lot more brightly:D. Good luck.

I did a one-day GUE intro with Ed here in NYC and had a fantastic time. The classroom part was geared towards a quick intro to GUE choices in gear as well as technique, and as Bismark points out above, with plenty of explanations of the "why".

The couple of hours of buoyancy training in the pool were simply outstanding.

Convinced me that Fundies is in my future whether I choose to continue DIR or not.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom