Scooter (DPV) questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason I did not use is fixed length rope harness is that I thought it might be useful to be able to adjust the harness "on the fly." By using a bolt snap sewn into the center of a length of strap and having adjustable clips at either end at the scooter shroud allows me to reach the strap and adjust it left to right trim or make the harness shorter or longer or if flying the scooter in the vertical handle orientation I can adjust up and down trim by again adjusting the straps to suit the moment. I don't know if this will prove useful over time but so far it seems to work well enough. Obviously a non adjustable rope looped over the handles and then through a bolt snap is more rugged and does allow at least trim adjustment. N

T - just a few more comments from the peanut gallery.

First, there are a bunch of photos on these sites, but I couldn't find the exact set-up images George used to have. Here is Rodney's:
http://www.silent-submersion.com/

This is George's:
http://www.gavinscooters.com/

Coupla other items. My Gavin came with white cord. I switched it to black. Then after I used it, I switched it back. White cord shows up in extremely dark or silted out water. Black doesn't. Nuff said! :)

Second, it isn't an isoceles triangle. Like Omar said, one side will be shorter on Gavin's (the right side, as this side rotates to ~12 o'clock...the left side would obviously need to be a tad longer as it goes to the ~6 o'clock position.) On Rodney's scooters and Andrew's X-Scooter it's a bit different - see the Campolini photo on Rodney's main page. The tow cord attaches at ~3 o'clock and ~9 o'clock, with their handles permanently at the ~12 o'clock position. So how your tow cord will ultimately end up depends to some extent on the scooter.

Finally, most of the divers I know set their cords so that their right arms are nearly fully extended. On Gavin's it's pretty easy to fine tune it for different situations (e.g. screwing around inside wrecks) by taking a couple wraps around the handle. Some of the X-guys have a somewhat shorter cord but a 4" double-ender will extend the tow cord as necessary from the crotch D-ring.

Hope this helps.

:wink:

Your answers have been a great help. I can see the advantages of the harness system but I fear that the great length of these puppies (52”) and the forward placement of the control handles (which would be hard to move) leave me stuck riding on top, which is not so bad. I keep considering doing something like this (since I have two):

Can't get the gallery to work: LINK INSTEAD

img%5D

Where did you get those WWII surplus torpedoes.

I don't think any of the suggestions given here will work for those bad boys. All of the little girly mahn scooters we all have simply cannot compare to a WWII torpedo.

N

Nemrod:
Where did you get those WWII surplus torpedoes.

I don't think any of the suggestions given here will work for those bad boys. All of the little girly mahn scooters we all have simply cannot compare to a WWII torpedo.

N
Actually I've had them since the late 1970s. It's amazing what you find in the garage, usable Swimmaster WideView mask sitting on one of the "bad boys." I think I'll need new batteries to put them back in service.

Don't spend big dollars on batteries. I bought some 12V 18 amp/hour units I bet would fit right in there for 34 dollars each (on sale). My Teknas use two 12V in series to provide 24V. I think that the Farrolon stays at 12V with two in parrallel? In any case, cheap, generic brand gell cell, sealed batteries is far beyond what even the best were a few years back. N

Yes the batteries are 12v/14 amp. There are four, the manual says they are charged in parallel but are installed in series. I’m trying to charge the first scooter tonight.

Be careful of old batteries, they may vent hydrogen gas which could cause an explosion. N

Back
Top Bottom