Scuba Club Cozumel Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will most likely love Cozumel. Don't be paranoid about the water...
Suit yourself, but I never drink from the tap in Mexico. Bottled water is ubiquitous and the penalty for being wrong is too much risk for my preference; YMMV. One man's paranoia is another man's prudence, I guess.

But yeah, the ice is fine; it's all made in the same plant or couple of plants and the makeup water is filtered for bacteria. I eat most any/everywhere and I've rarely (but not never) had problems.

The Kmart place is Mega and is good for snacks and anything you forgot.
Chedraui would be even closer to SCC and it's kind of the same deal, just not quite as nice (or pricey) but I have found stuff at Chedraui that I couldn't find at Mega.

Chedraui would be even closer to SCC and it's kind of the same deal, just not quite as nice (or pricey) but I have found stuff at Chedraui that I couldn't find at Mega.
And vice versa. I always visit them both while I am there.

What others have said! Take small denomination $ bills for taxis, tips, etc. The cab driver isn't going to have change for a fifty.

Mesh bag, lock for locker...check.

Instead of a power bar, look into a power octopus; the "wall warts" for your electronic charger won't crowd the others.

Look into bringing a American Outdoors soft side cooler to carry your camera gear to and from the boat and also serve as an in-room soak tank.

Take advantage of the shore diving, especially with your camera. (check out my pictures below).

I highly recommend you sign you and your son up for an AOW class. You will get private lessons for group rates and your own dive guide on the first few boat dives. Just do it. You can thank me later!

If you have any other questions about SCC, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

DSAO,
Jim

PS Tell everyone at SCC, "Jim Lyle sends his regards."

The rooms have a small refrigerator in them. The first afternoon we go to
Chedraui and stock the refrigerator with cokes and beer, so the bar tab at the end of the trip isn't too large. We're going in September and again next January.

Hola,

Can't add much more than what the other posters have stated.

You will find:

* very friendly staff - Mario, restaurant staff, chambermaids, front desk, dive shop, security at front gate
* very friendly and knowledgeable divemasters
* very helpful boat crews
* very friendly guests
* great diving - never had a bad dive
* a very clean and well maintained resort

The Mega store and Chedraui are within walking distance, as is most everything in downtown San Miguel. Avoid downtown
when the cruise ships are in. Too many people crowding the streets for my liking, and too many people trying to sell me
something I am not interested in. :( If there is one thing not to forget, it is sunscreen. The higher SPF the better :wink:

If you are there on a Sunday, make a point to be in the downtown square in the evening. Lots of music, dancing, and people
in traditional costume.

I just returned from my third trip to Scuba Club. Like another said, once you have been there, you will be hooked. :cool2:
If you have any specific questions, do not hesitate to PM me.

Have a great time, and don't forget to post a trip report.

Divegoose

You are going to love SCC. We discovered it in January 2012 and have gone now 4x since then plus we are booked again for November. We loved Cozumel so much we changed our mind from retiring next year to Hong Kong to Cozumel. The diving is great and the people even better.

SCC is a dedicated resort just for divers so it has it all...and so close to town.

Did you buy the package with 3 meals a day or the one with just breakfast & lunch?

If you want to know anything specific; send me a PM.

Betty

The recommendation about doing your AOW there is something you should consider.
We did this during our trip to Hawaii and it was actually less expensive that the cost would have been if we had just dove as regular divers.

What others have said! Take small denomination $ bills for taxis, tips, etc. The cab driver isn't going to have change for a fifty.
The rest of the list sounds good. Just one nit pick. Cab fares on Cozumel range from $8 to $15 or more, so the chance of a cab driver having change for a fifty, in US $$, isn't as remote as in the past when cab fares were $3. If not, the next cab driver will have change.

Also, to another poster who mentioned tips, cab fares in Mexico are all-inclusive if it's just people aboard. Tip if the cabbie schleps luggage, otherwise pay what he asks and not a peso more. He's already ripping you off :)

I don't know why you guys are paying so much for cab fares. When I am travelling within the downtown area (and I'd hazard a guess that runs between about Calle 6 or 8 to Calle 11 and waterfront to at least 30th and maybe even 65) it is between 30 and 50 pesos, depending on where they pick me up. There's a premium for pickup at Mega for example, even though it is just two blocks from my house. Ditto the ferry terminal. I just paid 35 pesos to the airport from my house (actually walked up a couple of blocks and caught it on 30th). I went from my house downtown to a Red Cross deal at the golf course 'way up north and it was about 80 pesos. A cab ride from my house to caleta was 70 or 80 pesos (I forget which...only had to do it once when in-town pick-up conditions were rough). Certainly it is more if you are coming from a northern or southern resort butI think fares in town are still pretty cheap. I usually greet the cabbie and ask the fare in Spanish. He responds (usually, unless he feels sorry for me) in Spanish. And away we go. I ALWAYS pay in pesos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom