Scuba Club Cozumel Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kentiler

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My 14 year old son and I are headed to the Scuba Club in Cozumel this month. It will be our first time in Cozumel. Any words of wisdom besides don't drink the tap water? I've been searching the forums for information on the Scuba Club and decided to ask a few questions of my own.

1. Is it safe to have ice or pop at the Scuba Club? I've heard you have to be careful with fountain beverages.
2. What things would you make sure you take along. I have underwater camera and lights; gear; clothes. Anything that you would recommend that we take with us?
3. Any reefs you would highly recommend, or are all of them good?
4. Any shops we should visit while we are there?
5. Any general recommendations for a first time Cozumel traveler?

Thank you!

--Kent

I have not avoided the drinks at SSC, elsewhere is another matter.
There is a large store- Kmart kind of place, forget the name- several blocks from SSC - leave the resort, go left and across the street. They have pretty much anything you want, I purchased beer and soda there for the week.

As for gear, I would add a SMB and a finger spool. You may get seperated from your DM and need to do a safety stop in mid water on your own...been there, done that.

The reef out front is not too much but still worth doing. You have to SLOW DOWN and look carefully for the small stuff. Be aware of the current there and take that into consideration, going the wrong way can be a difficult swim back.

Thanks for the reply, Herman.

I have a SMB for my son and I. We don't have finger spools. Would you use them with the SMB or use something else?

--Kent

The water from the tap is potable but taste may not be real good.

Bring a padlock for your locker. I prefer the lockers under the shaded cover on the north side of the property. Convenient for shore diving and less chance of gear drying out an salt crystals forming. I don't remember if the rooms had alarm clocks. Take some hangers and clothespins to hang stuff up to dry. Bring coffee mugs if you want more than a Styrofoam cup of coffee before breakfast.

Take advantage of the shore diving (1 or 2 a day - or more).

If you have the need to do a safety stop without the DM, it's a real good ideal to have the SMB on the surface while you are at 15 ft, helps keep the boats off of you and lets your boat know where you are. You can drift quite a ways during 3 minutes. A finger spool is nice but 20 ft or so of 1/8 cord wound around something- piece of PVC, wood dowel... is fine.
As I recall, the rooms had hangers but you need something to hold your stuff as it dries out side.

The rooms do have hangars in them. We were on the second floor above the dive shop. We had NO Problem drying our gear out on the patio.

Yes - you need a finger spool for your SMB so you can raise it to the surface for your safety stop. Mark the string on the finger spool with your 15 foot stop. It helps.

There is no problem with the ice at SCC. They use bottled water for it. I wouldn't use the tap water. They supply bottled water for that. There are containers of bottled water close to all rooms to re-fill your bottles.

The dive boats carry water and other drinks. If you want a snack, I would advise bringing it for between dives. Most 14 yo boys fit that category.

Get a mesh bag for each of you to carry your mask, fins and snorkel. If you get one a little bigger, you can put your BDC in it.

If you have any more questions, please pm me.

You will most likely love Cozumel. Don't be paranoid about the water or drinks not just at SCC but elsewhere on the island. Some of the best food we ate was at hole in the wall out of the way places. Try Los Seras for Al Pastor tacos one night!!

If you've never 'shot a bag' i.e. deployed an SMB from your safety stop, you might want to practice that from a shore dive at SCC before trying it after a deeper dive while drifting. It's harder than it looks - don't stick your finger in the spool when you inflate the SMB - OUCH!

The Kmart place is Mega and is good for snacks and anything you forgot.

Relax, have fun, and be sure to explore the town when you're not diving. The people are great, and it's a welcoming safe place to enjoy!

My favorite 'not crazy' dives would probably be Santa Rosa and any of the Palancars. However, I have yet to do a 'bad' dive in Coz!!!

1) As said by Tunaman, no problem with the water/ice. The water you will be served will be from a bottle or carboy anyway. The ice you'll get comes from a plant and is purified at most, if not all places.

2) Maybe a power strip and surge protector. I bring a laptop and some camera gear, and it seems like none of the rooms anywhere have a lot of available outlets. A few extra batteries. We always buy and bring clothes to donate to the kids. Blue Angel accepts them there, just a little south of SCC.

3) All good, which ones are better is a matter of luck at that time I think.

4) Whatever you like, but we tend to spend less time near the cruise ship dock. If you are not buying souvenir-type stuff, get a few block away from there for better deals. Mega and Chedraui have a lot almost everything and are walkable.

5) Relax, and know that you can get almost anything you forget, the island is very safe, and the people friendly. You can get a taxi within seconds it seems all the time, just walking down the street. Be warned that, once you've been to the island, you will want to return again and again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom