Scuba.com - is everything always out of stock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I can say is DRIS & DGX

I recently placed an order for the ScubaMax backpack with rush shipping. After 15 minutes I got an email saying the item was backorder from the manufacturer and they were upgrading my back pack order to the Akona backpack at no additional charge and would be here in 3 business days. I'm upset because I wanted the ScubaMax backpack because it has an additional pocket for my booties. Guess I'll give the Akona a try next week in Cozumel and I hope it will suffice.

I recently placed an order for the ScubaMax backpack with rush shipping. After 15 minutes I got an email saying the item was backorder from the manufacturer and they were upgrading my back pack order to the Akona backpack at no additional charge and would be here in 3 business days. I'm upset because I wanted the ScubaMax backpack because it has an additional pocket for my booties. Guess I'll give the Akona a try next week in Cozumel and I hope it will suffice.

Yes, same thing happened to me once with a computer and although I appreciated the gesture of them, Heinrichs Weikamp, sending me a more expensive computer it did not have the features that I was looking for so returned it. I think if companies are going to send upgrades they should ask first if the new item is suitable giving you the chance to agree or not. Hope the new bag works out for you.

I've never ordered from scuba.com but it sounds to me like the typical rob peter to pay paul scenario.
They probably run such a thin line that anything goes wrong finacially and they are scrambling. It's possible that they might not have the greatest relationships with their suppliers and some may require up front payment before they will ship to them.
I've seen this before with another online retailer that shall remain nameless.

Leisure Pro has always been my go to online retailer. They've been around a long time and are solid.
I had an OMS glass and brass SPG I bought from them that got hit hard and was leaking. I sent it back hoping they could fix it and I was prepared to pay since it was my fault. A week later I got a brand new one via UPS at my door free of charge no questions asked, and that was LP taking care of it out of free will not OMS.
I'm sure others are great too. I've bought from DRIS and they were great, as well as northeastscubasupply and caveadventurers.
The problem is there are too many of them now, and volume is what it takes when you sell at deep discounts. There's only so much volume to go around.

All I can say is DRIS & DGX

I don't know, I'm getting the exact same thing from DRIS right now. Ordered a sidemount wing end of last month, got an email a few days later saying it was out of stock, but should be in in 5-7 business days. 8 business days later, I emailed to find out whats up, no response. Called them the next day, and things seemed to get sorted (distributor was on east coast, big snow storm, mail not running, etc). Supposed to get dropshipped from the distributor and they would send me the tracking info once it was shipped. I was expecting it on Friday, but haven't heard a word since.

So it's been almost a month since ordering what I thought was an in stock item, and as far as I can tell it hasn't even shipped from the distributor yet. And they charged my card right away.

Oh, and it's still on the website with no indication that it is backordered. I understand items being out of stock, it's part of business, but to not have any indication things are out of stock from a primarily web-based retailer is asinine and/or intentionally misleading.

That's one of the many things I like about DGX, they always list items as "out of stock" when they are out of stock, Scubatoys too.

Very few of the online store websites actually reflect actual inventory. I have had the same problem with scubatoys. If your going to do an online store you need to make sure your ecommerce tool is also your inventory Managment tool.

I had had a time I bought a package deal by the time I was done over half of the parts were substituted for.

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2015 at 09:16 PM ----------

Most dealers will list every part they can get from one of their manufacturers. Not just what is in stock. They only stock high volume items.

My first and last order with scuba.com was last week. I should have listened to everyone .... from the long back-order till they never post bad review of item.

I even had sent them email asking if this item in stock, they promised if I order now, they will make it ready in 5 days. I placed the order next day, and I received update one day after that have to wait for another 2 months. (my fault as I missed one day?)

I'm asking for cancellation, and waiting to see how this will go. I paid using Amazon checkout and I have not seen they charged my credit card yet till date.

I ordered from them this past September when I started my open water class. Received everything within a week. now my sister just ordered the same stuff about a week ago, and a couple days later she got an email saying one or more items will be out of stock until the middle of March. Everything she ordered on the website said it was in stock, but after calling she found out that the mask and fins were backordered. Oh well, can't beat the prices and our trip's not until May.

I ordered from them this past September when I started my open water class. Received everything within a week. now my sister just ordered the same stuff about a week ago, and a couple days later she got an email saying one or more items will be out of stock until the middle of March. Everything she ordered on the website said it was in stock, but after calling she found out that the mask and fins were backordered. Oh well, can't beat the prices and our trip's not until May.

please update us if/when you actually do get it. I have had them cancel after a period of time leading up to the stated ship date....

Back
Top Bottom