Scuba diver to Jr. OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Returning to the OP's question...

My son got his Jr. Open Water certification last year at 12 years old while I did a refresher course by tagging along with his OW course. Since then, we've done about 35 dives together and have loved every minute of our time diving together. Yes, with his Jr Scuba Diver certification, your son can dive with a DM or instructor while you are on vacation, but the training he will receive in completing his Jr. Open Water course will be very valuable. Even diving with a professional, your son and husband will be much safer if they have the training to take care of themselves rather than just trusting the professional to care for them. I would strongly recommend that your son take the Open Water course with your husband, and I would also recommend that they dive more frequently than once per year or take a refresher course before each trip as skills degrade without practice.

Most importantly, they should enjoy themselves! Having more confidence in their abilities will allow them to relax and enjoy their dives.

Back
Top Bottom