Scuba diver's Personal Locator Beacon - how never to be lost at sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're posting in the same time frame. :mad:

I can get a waterproof camera case for my cannon for like $100. Surely they could make a SMALL case just as cheap or cheaper figuring there are no controls.
Looks like Mike got his canister for about that. His info is spread over several posts so just start at the top and re-read. :cool:

Last edited:
Don, you are right, it looks like the 2881 (ResQLink +) would be the one I would pick based upon being smaller and lighter and still floats.

Don, you are right, it looks like the 2881 (ResQLink +) would be the one I would pick based upon being smaller and lighter and still floats.
And cheaper! Maybe not half the price, as I shopped around - finding a wide ranger of prices on the 2881, 2882, and others, incredibly wide range - one can easily spend way too much on any of them, but I did find the 2882 for $319 including shipping vs $250 with free shipping on the 2881 - both with $50 rebate.

I called ACR and asked them to explain why they have all the different models. 2884 & 2885 have LED screens, and 2883 & 2885 have belt clips. :silly: I just don't see spending more for any of the bigger & heavier models with 25% more power - not for personal use anyway. Small boats maybe? The larger ones are not approved in Australia either. Do make sure your choice floats, and the 2880 does not; I did not check all.

We're posting in the same time frame. :mad:

Looks like Mike got his canister for about that. His info is spread over several posts so just start at the top and re-read. :cool:

I read it a year ago. I thought he made his? Why can't we have one just a tidge bigger than the widget instead of these big canisters?

I read it a year ago. I thought he made his? Why can't we have one just a tidge bigger than the widget instead of these big canisters?
So, you won't read it again? He found a US contact for Custom Divers, got their canister, shaved a little off of the antenna so it would fit. Pictures on the original post quoted...
May 1, 2012

On April 10th, I ordered a ACR 2881 ResQLink Plus PLB375 from Hodges Marine for $252.00 which included the shipping costs. It arrived about a week later.

ACR has a Spring 2012 promotion for a $50 rebate so the ResQLink ends up costing $202.00.

Custom Divers
200/210 dive canister $ 107.00
ACR 2881 ResQLink Plus PLB375 $252.00
Rebate -$50.00
------------------------------------------------
Total $309.00 X 2 (one for myself and one for my wife)

So after the ResQLink Plus arrives I gently tried fitting it in the 200/210 dive canister. It fits very snuggly. Then I proceeded to screw the two pieces of the dive canister together, I started feeling some resistance, upon closer inspection it appears the very bottom of the nub of the plastic 'lever arm' on the antenna connection on the ResQLink is sticking out just enough to make it difficult to get a good connection of the dive canister.

Examining the plastic lever arm, it looks like this is just some extra plastic on the arm, so I shaved it off with a sharp utility knife and the ResQLink Plus fits perfectly inside the 200/210 dive canister.

Success! I ordered the 2nd one shortly after.

The ResQLink Plus fits very snuggly, no movement, no shaking around.

I have attached pictures that show the ResQLink Plus out of the box, with antenna raised, showing how it fits in the 200/210 canister with and without the modification to the extra plastic on the lever arm and details of the actual modification.

Conclusion - We now have a very affordable, very reliable assurance of rescue. We will be bringing these along on all dive trips and have peace of mind in a worst case scenario situation we will always have the safety of rescue with us.

Next step is registering them....

And I've since read that the Custom Diver canister is made from PVC, and his leaked: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/te...k-custom-diver-waterproof-canister-cdffc.html

The aluminum McMurdo canister I carried was great. I did not care for the belt approach as I wanted it on my body whether boating or diving, and in my room at night - not on the BC which might be tempting for crew to play with, and not on a dive belt - as I would dump that first in an emergency, losing the PLB! I used two very heavy duty cable ties and a brass bolt clip so I could clip it to my vest boating, to my BC diving, and free in my room at night.

I have been using the McMurdo metal canister with a Delorme InReach for the past year / 100+ dives with great success. The thing never leaked and the InReach fits into it perfectly, even if I throw in a spare battery pack that I vacuum wrapped. The InReach can be used on land and for non-emergencies as well and the SOS signals are two-way (you get positive confirmation) and it doesn't rely on a regional government agency to work or be registered. The downside ? You pay a monthly fee. I think the minimum is like 9.95 a month so unless you also go hunting/hiking/MTB/ATV/skiing the marine devices are probably more cost effective.

Must be some wild parties at Hotel Coz at night....
Didn't you see the Wizard of Oz? If DD gets swept away to Oz by a sudden hurricane, you think he wants to have to search for red shoes to click together while fighting witches and flying monkeys? Heck no, he'll simply turn on his personal locator beacon and wait for the Delta Force rescue.

Must be some wild parties at Hotel Coz at night....
No, but it was loud until the Independence Day celebrators from the mainland left.

You Nautilus does have a lot of utility, but still very limited: only marine radios, 4,000 square miles is only 35 miles line of site, and don't forget to charge it. It's probably fine for the Coz channel, but I think you just like to harass the boat captain.

It's pretty worthless on inland adventures back home, but your state is probably better covered by cell towers than West Texas & New Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom