Scuba diver's Personal Locator Beacon - how never to be lost at sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry my ACR 2881 in the car any time I leave the house. Lost travelers, hikers, etc are always making the news.
I carry a cell phone for the same reason. There's a better chance AAA can find me in my suburban wilderness if I can call them on the phone.

In Cozumel, how far is the cell phone range off shore? Clearly boats can use them when they're at the dive sites. If I'm going to be lost at sea, at least I can play Angry Birds or listen to some tunes.

I carry a cell phone for the same reason. There's a better chance AAA can find me in my suburban wilderness if I can call them on the phone.

In Cozumel, how far is the cell phone range off shore? Clearly boats can use them when they're at the dive sites. If I'm going to be lost at sea, at least I can play Angry Birds or listen to some tunes.
Yeah, yeah, most people rely on their cell phones and hope they charged them recently. Some bodies are found with dead phones. We like to explore places where cell phones don't work, but then do you carry your cell diving...??

but then do you carry your cell diving...??
Our dive shop is really pushing underwater cell phone cases to use I-phones for photography. They take decent pictures. I don't know if you can make a call with the case on (obviously you can't underwater...)

Our dive shop is really pushing underwater cell phone cases to use I-phones for photography. They take decent pictures. I don't know if you can make a call with the case on (obviously you can't underwater...)
I'm a big fan of keeping cell phones handy & charged for distress calls. I nag my daughter about keeping a car charger in every vehicle, at least one wall charger each for trips if not more (chargers are so cheap in ebay, easy to pack, but so essential), and I even carry a spare phone on overnight trips in case one dies - had that happen once and needed one, even the pay phone I found didn't work. Mine is waterproof to 3 feet so wouldn't get killed by waves, if I had a dive case and didn't drop it when I needed it - but I wonder how good the tracking is at sea? My PLB floats and the tracking is very accurate.

Without meaning to sound crass....these systems are good, but if a jumbo jet with 200+ people can disappear, dont ever think any device will be a 100% guarantee you will always be found.

Without meaning to sound crass....these systems are good, but if a jumbo jet with 200+ people can disappear, dont ever think any device will be a 100% guarantee you will always be found.
I'm sure a PLB would work better in the US and our waters than in around Malaysia and Thailand - the failures of those two countries amaze me, but still - the plane's transponder was turned off. I do test my battery frequently and there is another test to ensure it actually is tracked by the satellites, plus it will work for 24 hours once activated. Just have to make sure it has a clear line to the sky, so if you're trapped in a wrecked car - at least stick it out of the window.

True, but 99% ain't bad odds compared to the alternative.

Hi,

I know this is an old post but the info here is still very relevant… thanks, Mike for taking the time to put it all together. I have not been able to find a US distributor for the Custom Divers canister and have not heard back by email form on their website. Seems like they are really missing a big opportunity here! Does anyone have any current info on where I can get a canister in the US? I am trying to put together the canister/PLB combo for my son so I can sleep better at night!

thanks!!
Beth

McMurdo Dive Canister - Star Marine Depot

That's the one I rented for my last trip, and for more than once a year - buy it. I used two, heavy duty ties to double secure to a brass bolt clip. Just need to make sure it's closed well, clipped to your BC well, and over the edge of the boat before you roll. Replace the o-rings as indicated by inspection.

Back
Top Bottom