Scuba diver's Personal Locator Beacon - how never to be lost at sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,
Also, does anyone know if there are airline restrictions for the PLB's and any concerns in customs? Would you recommend putting this in your carry-on or your checked bag?

We always fly with them in our carryon. Firstly cause I don't want somebody messing with it without me knowing it, for instance if they decide to pull my bags at some time and go through them and decide they need to see what they are. I don't want to take the chance of somebody messing with it, breaking it etc without me knowing it. Secondly I like to have it with me in a carry on with the hopes if we go down and survive the crash into the water I have it to activate.

I have never had any TSA person investigate our beacons yet, in over 20 flight legs so far. On the other hand they investigate the crap out of my video camera's video lights about 50% of the time they go through X-ray. Why they pay no attention to something that so much more resembles a bomb or a curious device, that the rescue link inside a metal canister looks like, I have no idea.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2013 at 06:57 PM ----------

And I've since read that the Custom Diver canister is made from PVC, and his leaked: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/te...k-custom-diver-waterproof-canister-cdffc.html

The aluminum McMurdo canister I carried was great. I did not care for the belt approach as I wanted it on my body whether boating or diving, and in my room at night - not on the BC which might be tempting for crew to play with, and not on a dive belt - as I would dump that first in an emergency, losing the PLB! I used two very heavy duty cable ties and a brass bolt clip so I could clip it to my vest boating, to my BC diving, and free in my room at night.

1) Keep in mind- Rescue Link + is water proof. If the canister leaked, it would not be a problem. The canister is not needed to keep the Rescule Link + from getting wet, it is to protect it from pressure when taking it under water to 130 or more feet.

2) I would never be surprised to hear about any cannister leaking, as I'm pretty sure if somebody got a leak, its very probable it came from user error. The canister is no different than a underwater camera housing, it uses an O-ring, just like a camera housing. Lots of people flood cameras due to O-ring errors, I'd expect the same people to have problems with a canister.

We have 2 custom diver canisters been on over 100 dives and counting, each have not leaked, both have been to 160 ft.

Last edited:
Is the Resqlink "waterproof" or just "water resistant"?

The specs indicate "waterproof" for 10 minutes at 33 feet. That seems to be water resistant and not really waterproof. I think I could make a container out of cardboard and duct tape that could meet that spec.

I recall an issue with watch companies advertising "waterproof" watches that were really just water resistant. Now in Canada you will see specs like "water resistant to 100 meters". The watches are NOT waterproof as you can flood them playing in the surf at the beach.

Same thing with industrial NEMA enclosures used in factories to protect electrical equipment. They are splash resistant, can handle a bit of submersion but a power washer will fill them with water very quickly (learned that one the hard way).

What's the difference?

You're not taking it out of the canister at 50 ft. Your reply is in regard to the issue of if there was a leak in a canister how would the rescue link + be effected? If I took the canister and filled it up 3/4 of the way with water with the rescue link + in it, closed it and took it diving to 130 ft what would be the result? Nothing. The canister resists the effects of the water pressure at depth, as far as the rescue link + would be concerned, it is still at sea level just in a puddle of water. There is no difference between water proof or water resistant if you're not exceeding it's water resistance limits.

Is the Resqlink "waterproof" or just "water resistant"?

The specs indicate "waterproof" for 10 minutes at 33 feet. That seems to be water resistant and not really waterproof. I think I could make a container out of cardboard and duct tape that could meet that spec.

I recall an issue with watch companies advertising "waterproof" watches that were really just water resistant. Now in Canada you will see specs like "water resistant to 100 meters". The watches are NOT waterproof as you can flood them playing in the surf at the beach.

Same thing with industrial NEMA enclosures used in factories to protect electrical equipment. They are splash resistant, can handle a bit of submersion but a power washer will fill them with water very quickly (learned that one the hard way).
Oh, they are what the specs say they are. Whether one wants to call them waterproof or water resistant could be argued if there was any point. They are as waterproof/resistant as EPIRBs carried by ships and better boats: "Waterproof: 16.40 ft (5 m) @ 1 hr., 33 ft (10 m) @ 10 min. Factory tested @ 70°F, exceeds RTCM (Radio Technical Commission for Maritime Services) waterproof requirements" and almost as powerful. They do also make an Aqualink model that is as powerful, a little bigger, costing a lot more for 25% more power, without or without LED readouts. They are all for use on the surface tho, not for diving, pressure washers, etc. for which you need a dive canister was discussed already.

I'd love to see your cardboard & duct tape box exceed RTCM requirements. Really good duck tape it good, but I think 2 atmospheres would be too much. :wink:
What's the difference?

You're not taking it out of the canister at 50 ft. Your reply is in regard to the issue of if there was a leak in a canister how would the rescue link + be effected? If I took the canister and filled it up 3/4 of the way with water with the rescue link + in it, closed it and took it diving to 130 ft what would be the result? Nothing. The canister resists the effects of the water pressure at depth, as far as the rescue link + would be concerned, it is still at sea level just in a puddle of water. There is no difference between water proof or water resistant if you're not exceeding it's water resistance limits.
I have to say yes & no, but we often agree with disagreements. :eyebrow: If the double o-rings allowed water to seep in, it probably would not hurt like a leaky camera housing - as long as the pressure and time limits are not exceeded. If a diver cross threaded the canister, canister was missing o-rings, or had a catastrophic failure for other reasons - I suppose enough pressure and time could ruin one, as unlikely as that would be.

On the surface, they're certainly much more waterproof/resistant than most cell phones. When that boat sank crossing the Cozumel channel a couple of years ago, they got off one call before the phone fried in salt water, and fortunately the other end answered and got the message. My phone is actually rated as waterproof/resistant as a PLB :crafty: but it doesn't have a lanyard and doesn't float, and I certainly would not depend on it in an emergency.

Last edited:
Hi,

I know this is an old post but the info here is still very relevant… thanks, Mike for taking the time to put it all together. I have not been able to find a US distributor for the Custom Divers canister and have not heard back by email form on their website. Seems like they are really missing a big opportunity here! Does anyone have any current info on where I can get a canister in the US? I am trying to put together the canister/PLB combo for my son so I can sleep better at night!

thanks!!
Beth

Well, I think my original email didn't go out because I tried again and got an answer quickly from George Caves and he was very helpful. The price has gone up a bit like everything else but is just 114.20 + shipping. You can reach him by emailing customdivers@hotmail.com.

Thanks so much again to Mike for posting all this info. When I get everything together I'll be looking at the pictures again to see how to shave down the ResQLink+

Happy and safe diving, all!
beth

Mike, just wanted to say THANK-YOU for your research and for sharing the results. I've now ordered a ResQLink+ and will be ordering a dive canister from Custom Divers. I'll have a bit more peace of mind when diving/hiking/adventuring now :)

Mike, just wanted to say THANK-YOU for your research and for sharing the results. I've now ordered a ResQLink+ and will be ordering a dive canister from Custom Divers. I'll have a bit more peace of mind when diving/hiking/adventuring now :)
I carry my ACR 2881 in the car any time I leave the house. Lost travelers, hikers, etc are always making the news. It's only $250 including shipping, good for 5 years = $50/year, and while only good for a one time use - they'll replace is for free if you submit a good rescue story. Mike's canister is an economical alternative, but my scuba trips are infrequent enough that I rent an aluminum one. Both good choices.

We always fly with them in our carryon. Firstly cause I don't want somebody messing with it without me knowing it, for instance if they decide to pull my bags at some time and go through them and decide they need to see what they are. I don't want to take the chance of somebody messing with it, breaking it etc without me knowing it. Secondly I like to have it with me in a carry on with the hopes if we go down and survive the crash into the water I have it to activate.

I have never had any TSA person investigate our beacons yet, in over 20 flight legs so far. On the other hand they investigate the crap out of my video camera's video lights about 50% of the time they go through X-ray. Why they pay no attention to something that so much more resembles a bomb or a curious device, that the rescue link inside a metal canister looks like, I have no idea.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2013 at 06:57 PM ----------

1) Keep in mind- Rescue Link + is water proof. If the canister leaked, it would not be a problem. The canister is not needed to keep the Rescule Link + from getting wet, it is to protect it from pressure when taking it under water to 130 or more feet.

2) I would never be surprised to hear about any cannister leaking, as I'm pretty sure if somebody got a leak, its very probable it came from user error. The canister is no different than a underwater camera housing, it uses an O-ring, just like a camera housing. Lots of people flood cameras due to O-ring errors, I'd expect the same people to have problems with a canister.

We have 2 custom diver canisters been on over 100 dives and counting, each have not leaked, both have been to 160 ft.

Glad you have an opinion that it must be operator error. After much investigation and the supplier stating that there was nothing wrong with the canister, I found it leaking at 10m. In the end I did some internal seal measuring and found that the canister had no way of sealing as there were no tolerances on the O rings. I would suggest a manufacturing error. The new one finally supplied does seal but I am not happy with it (given I paid $200 AUD). I am not impressed by them and would prefer the aluminium version.

My PLB is water resistant to 10m and when it gets soaked it triggers (proof is when the container leaked it set the PLB off).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom