Scuba Diving Magazine Redesign and "Page-Flipper"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've got to be kidding me (on both counts). Your dive gear doesn't all stack perfectly in a neat pile, does it? Are all the books on your bookshelf the same size?

Yeah, I don't like it either.

Please excuse me now. I have to go sort my garbage by type, size and color then bundle it with string, gift-wrap it and put it out by the curb for pickup, sorted by package weight. :D

Seriously, on the plus-size, the page flipper is very intuitive and the magazine layout is very nice.

On the minus-side, the web site needs help.

Because of the big vertical ad bar on the right and the two huge borders on the right and left side of the page, the magazine text is too small to read. It's possible to "zoom in" but then the page flipper control is off screen.

Your site should be fluid and expand to fill the available browser width, and you should lose the ad bar, so users can actually see the content.

Terry

you should lose the ad bar, so users can actually see the content.

Thanks for the feedback Web Monkey. However, if we made it so you could read the content, you wouldn't have to buy the magazine, would you? :wink:

On the topic of storage, I have never really understood it. I can see keeping an issue or two for reference but I could not justify keeping whole sets. Things change to frequently to justify it for me.

BTW, in the current issue pg. 54, the diver is wearing fins without straps! Superglue, non-payment of product placement advertising?

Thanks for the feedback Web Monkey. However, if we made it so you could read the content, you wouldn't have to buy the magazine, would you? :wink:

Sorry, I thought we were supposed to read it.

Nevermind.

Terry

Dave, with the exception of the many issues I lost in two "floods" over the years, I keep every issue of every dive magazine and used to keep my videography, astronomy, travel and other magazines as well (but no longer). Don't ask me why... I must be some sort of collector (as in Jown Fowles' novel). There are things in the back-issues which I like to keep for reference, although my storage requirements would be greatly reduced if I just pulled the interesting pages out. Sometimes you see a reference to an article in a previous issue which I hadn't read and that brings me back to the stored issues.

You've got to be kidding me (on both counts). Your dive gear doesn't all stack perfectly in a neat pile, does it? Are all the books on your bookshelf the same size?

ok, I'm exaggerating - if I still liked the mag it wouldn't stop me from subscribing. It's just my cynicism expecting that changing the size and cosmetics probably won't improve the content.

But it is a small nuisance. I get a lot of magazines, don't read them all right away, and save some of them for awhile. I don't expect dive gear to be all the same and stack, that's a really silly comparison. Nor books for the most part, although actually now that paperbacks are coming out in different sizes that's sometimes a nuisance too, as we have quite a collection. Maybe I'm just neater than you. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom