Scuba Diving Magazine Redesign and "Page-Flipper"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the feedback Web Monkey. However, if we made it so you could read the content, you wouldn't have to buy the magazine, would you? :wink:

I've been thinking about that, and actually, if the online version contains exactly the same pages as the printed version, including all the ads, I would think that you would be happy to let it out for free.

You could even jack up the ad rates because now you would have a much larger readership.

Terry

Hi Nick, question, how is the increase in the magazine’s trim size going to effect print cost of your magazine? From a finical standpoint, with paper and press production costs continuing to rise (and not likely going to stop) across the board, going up to larger sheets of paper in the book has got to put a little strain on publication and profit margins.

Walt Stearns
Editor-in-Chief
Underwaterjournal.com

Hi Walt:

It's an investment in the quality of our product. The whiter paper, the bigger size and a design that allows for full-bleed photos will let us showcase the best in underwater and topside photography and better serve our readers. The flipbook is beautiful, but you really do have to hold the final product in your hands and take it all in. It's beautiful!

Keith Phillips
Editor
Scuba Diving
(912) 351-6234
Kphillips@scubadiving.com

I understand that the new size will take folks a while to get used to, and might not stack as nice, but the magazines in the larger format do seem nicer when they've got quality photography to display.

I imagine everyone will like it when the final product comes out....

Hi Walt:

It's an investment in the quality of our product. The whiter paper, the bigger size and a design that allows for full-bleed photos will let us showcase the best in underwater and topside photography and better serve our readers. The flipbook is beautiful, but you really do have to hold the final product in your hands and take it all in. It's beautiful!

Keith Phillips
Editor
Scuba Diving
(912) 351-6234
Kphillips@scubadiving.com

Thank you Keith and Nick, for replying. I appreciate it when a company moves in a direction of quality in spite of the cost. We all know it will make the readers and advertisers happier and in the end, the move should prove more profitable.

All to often, bean counters rise to the top in a corporation and they love to cut costs, quality and content in an effort to make a short term profit. This strategy makes everybody happy – for a short time. Then the end user seeks a quality minded alternative and then the strategy starts to show it’s true (lack of) colors. I glad divers still run the magazine.

Whew, Dave... "good" thing there are no "bean counters" in my company! Of course there are times when I could use better financial advice (despite being a bean counter and into mergers & acquisitions in another life).

Wow, I can't wait to find the new issues crammed into my mailbox. Didn't bother with the website, I'll be happy to hold it in my hands. Personally I like the idea that the pages will be bigger...

I get both PADI Sport Diver as well as PADI Sport Diver UK.

The British version seems to have adopted that format some time ago- it's going to make them harder to tell apart in the magazine basket!

Good luck!

Hi RoatanMan,

Actually, we're talking about SCUBA DIVING MAGAZINE here, and I believe you're referring to Sport Diver. Two different magazines.

Give Scuba Diving Magazine a try sometime.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom