Scuba Fashion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissScuba

Reaction score
Hey ladies! I'd love to hear your opinion! I was just diving in the Turks & Caicos on the 7,000 ft. wall, completely one with nature with my buddy. Along comes another woman on our dive boat on in her hot pink/black wetsuit, hot pink fins and mask and snorkel . Every time I looked out of the corner of my eye, all I could see was PINK !! I know some think pink is "girlie" down under, but it was quite annoying and distracted me and my buddy from enjoying all the beautiful colors around us! What do you all think? I prefer a normal dark blue wetsuit or a black one.
:confused:

is good as it makes keeping track of your buddy easier. If everybody is all black then how do you know which diver is which?

I like black gear because in my line of work I get dirty a lot.:D

I live in a predomentely surfing community with some exception to the seasonal
"Blue Heads". The surf industry has publicized on this stuff and made a multi million industry. Boards don't support the surf industry....it's the apparral that makes someone look like a surfer that makes it live.

The diving industry concentrates on equipment to make ends meet. Hot chicks selling hot wetsuits is a a definately an asset for marketing....we need to get the rerceatioanal dive community to make more $$$ than the paper clip industry (they make more than us)

My input

from here. Reds start going about 10' and it should be pretty muted by the time you are at 20'. You can also try a black skirt on your mask to keep her out of your peripheral view. Lastly, you can use the DELETE key....oh wait that was an answer to a different question on a different board.

I have a collection of pink stuff and while I've taken some heat about it on the surface, none of my buddies ever had any trouble picking me out of a crowd of divers. I also know exactly which gear is mine among the assortment on dive boats and don't worry about my gear being mistaken for someone else's and disappearing.

Now, that being said, my drysuit is completely black and my wetsuit has only a pink collar and a small pink section on the attached hood. My snorkel is black too.

Personally, I like seeing a variety of coloured gear. It helps me identify other divers as well as my buddy.

Diverlady

Okay, as I'm an opinionated soul, I just couldn't help but jump into the frey. I really did try, but the lure was just too great! Call it a weakness.

Seriously though, as with everything, there are two sides to every story. People have pointed out that because their equipment is anything other than black, it's easy to find them underwater and locate their equipment on the deck. Can't agree more.

Pinks, yellows and neon blue are excellent colors for photographers too. So there is yet another reason for getting into non-traditional colors.

When I first started diving, the industry had the "Henry Ford" attitude - "You can have any color you wanted, as long as it was black." Even today, that is the predominant color.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree with my neighbor in Cocoa Beach. We have to do a better job of marketing and get different patterns out there for folks to buy. I was a surfer too and at one time, we were a distinct minority. Then some forward thinkers at Ocean Pacific; Ron Jon and a few others recognized a cash cow when they saw one. We should support the same in our industry.

The only thing I object to is that line of wet suits for women that look like someone went nuts in the paint room. Can't remember the name, but the suits are stupid (IMO) looking.

Okay, I'm done. I've had my fix for the day. Hope you all have or had a great Thanksgiving!

I prefer colors both on my dive buddy and for myself...in you're in anything but perfect vis...colors really help with buddy visability...I still consider blue and black gear the equivlant of dive camos :) Why in the world wouldn't you want to be visible?

Now saying that both my suits are black, one all black and one is black with a yellow strip down each side. However my huge Blades are very yellow. I have two masks, one is clear and one has a yellow frame.

Peace,
Cathie

...such as BC, I don't have much choice. And I had a black wetsuit given me as a gift (thanks SO). But when it came time to buy fins - rather a priority due to my impossible to fit feet - I was actually given a choice between black, blue and yellow in my chosen style of fins. I chose yellow for visibility.

BTW I also used to have a little length of neon orange surveyor's tape tied onto the end of my blue snorkel - but my scuba instructor hated it and made me take it off. It must have been too distracting :)

It's a sure bet you wouldn't want to go diving with me. I just got a new dive skin from Dive Goddess. I'm literally decked out from head to toe in Reflections material. Black is soooooooooooo boring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom