Scuba Mask Defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, don't make fun of Doc! Do you have any idea of how long it took me to sell him that box of 500 bottles? Just mind your own business and ask him where you can get some too. :)

Recently, I was told that the leaf of the naupaka bush (also called scaevolas, fan-flowers, or half-flowers) here in Hawaii works great as mask defog. Just crush the leaf inside the mask, rub in, and rinse off. They have a surprisingly wide distribution, too - while spending a week in Roatan, I was amazed to see healthy hedges of them growing all over the resort!

And the DIR version has the exclusive black titanium, the only color approved for DIR divers.

Posted via Mobile Device

Cleaning the inside of your mask with soft scrub and a toothbrush will get rid of all the dirt, dried snot, and other residue. Just make sure you rinse the mask before using it.
If you use a tinted mask it would be best to read any manufacturers warnings first. Manufacturers like Seavision specifically tell you not to clean the mask with an abrasive. Otherwise, I usually just clean the mask with toothpaste when I first get it to get any of the packing goop off and then just use baby shampoo. Spit doesn't seem to work for me.

I use Sea Drops Titanium. $86 a bottle and sold only in Japan.

I thought you used this:

Y'all may resume the touting of $9 a bottle Mask Defog made from Sweat scraped gently from the Inner Thighs of Virgin Swedish Dive Mistresses
:eyebrow:

Why the change? Is it because the titanium is lighter and helps your SAC rate?

Recently, I was told that the leaf of the naupaka bush (also called scaevolas, fan-flowers, or half-flowers) here in Hawaii works great as mask defog. Just crush the leaf inside the mask, rub in, and rinse off. They have a surprisingly wide distribution, too - while spending a week in Roatan, I was amazed to see healthy hedges of them growing all over the resort!

In So.Cal I was taught and have used kelp leaves. Fresh ones that still have a slime coat are best. Works well and no need to rinse.

Spit doesn't seem to work for me.

I forgot to pack my defog once and none of the other divers had any. They all used spit which is what I ended up using also. It was the only time my mask ever fogged up on a dive. I guess my spit doesn't work, next time I'll try someone elses'. :D

Dish washing liquid works well most of the time. Occasionally, a mildly abrasive solution will clean out built-up grease film (baking soda is handy for this).

what is the grease build up from? the dish washing liguid? I have my original mask from 1992, and I have never had a build up, or done anything more than spit in it before I dive and maybe rinse it after a dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom