Scuba pro MK10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can anyone elaborate on the 10 vs. 10+?

The 10+ is technically rated for moderately higher pressure and better cold water performance. I use yoke standard Mk 10s to about 3500 lbs without any problems, and standard Mk 10s are used without issues to temps down in the 30sF. According to some people there are IP issues with serviced or rebuilt Mk10+ regs, but I have no direct experience with them.

U guys talk about putting silicone in it etc. thats something they will do when its serviced right. Cause i have no idea how to break it down, well i can take it apart im sure, but probably cant put it together again haha

No disassembly required. That's what the little holes are for. Removal is the issue. Purpose is to displace water with silicone or other approved substance (esp if using nitrox) to prevent freezing. Unless you are diving very very cold water or surface in icy winds or super cold air temps this stuff probably not needed.

can anyone elaborate on the 10 vs. 10+?

rhwestfall,

I own three Mk 10 regs, all purchased new ca. 1987.

When I began tech diving ca. 1993, I used two of these as back tank regs. For this pair, I purchased and installed the 10+ upgrade kits, for this was strongly recommended by my LDS to anyone Great Lakes diving using "cave fills" in PST HP cylinders. I never noticed a difference in breathing performance, but I didn't run these regs as back tank regs for very long. (Shortly after the upgrade, I purchased Poseidon Odin regs to use as back tank regs; a couple of free-flows--one in Gilboa Quarry and one in Lake Huron--"motivated" me to purchase the Poseidon regs, decidedly cold water regs.)

My third Mk 10 I left as a plain Mk 10, since I used this one as a deco reg. At that time, Scubapro offered a kit that converted the Mk 10 to an oxygen compatible reg (but did NOT offer such a kit for a Mk 10+).

I still own all three of these regs. (And I've kept the original Mk 10 bits that were swapped out for Mk 10+ upgrade parts.) I no longer dive extremely cold water using cave-filled HP cylinders, and these Scubapro regs remain my preferred regs for the type of recreational diving I continue to do these days. I love these regs. My young daughters and I wear these regs when I'm teaching them SCUBA.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Wholly agree. FWIW - I own at least 5 or 6 MK-10 firsts from many years. Due to growing irrational fears and some chance good deals, I have lately been diving MK-17 firsts, but would likely travel to a warm water destination with the MK-10 at any time. Also, had I not been gifted a MK-15/D350, my wife would still be diving her MK-10 regularly too though she isn't doing the deep cold stuff. They are good stages.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 04:10 PM ----------

Was the 10+ upgrade similar to the MK-15 "upgrade" that was essentially a stiffer spring and a different seat? All in the name of higher tank pressures...

Was the 10+ upgrade similar to the MK-15 "upgrade" that was essentially a stiffer spring and a different seat? All in the name of higher tank pressures...

Iirc, the main bits in the kit were a new (slightly different design) piston and spring, a new HP seat and a new screw-in "cap" that holds the HP seat, and different (stiffer?) HP O-rings. Oh, and a little sticky label that proclaims to all the world that this Mk 10 is now a Mk 10+!

I'll confirm this once I return home tonight--if I can find the bag of old parts.

rx7diver

Mk10s are my favorite first stages. They are easy to work on, very reliable, high performing and you can get parts fairly easy.
IIRC, the only challenge you will have is if you desire DIN.
My standard procedure after buying an ebay Mk10 is to buy one of these:
Scuba Pro "300 bar" (4350 psi) DIN Conversion Kit for MK16, MK18, MK20 & MK25 | LeisurePro
Mk10s are easily converted to DIN. Just make sure you torque them to specs.
I dove the MK-10 for many years (about 20), and most of my diving is in the Great Lakes. Temps below the thermocline will be in the mid 30's. I never have had issues with the reg. Proper tune & dive procedures, and all is good. Never put the silicone in it either.....
U guys talk about putting silicone in it etc. thats something they will do when its serviced right. Cause i have no idea how to break it down, well i can take it apart im sure, but probably cant put it together again haha
Like Bob, I have never put any grease on any of my Mk10s. I dive them all the time in cold Canadian waters down to ~290ft and in temps as low as 42F. Never had a problem and they have always performed superbly. Stay away from the grease if you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom