Scuba pro MK10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No mods whatsoever for the Mk10. The kit comes with all the orings already in and with a sintered filter. All you do is unscrew the yoke and screw in the DIN adapter. After screwing in the din adapter to torque specs, you screw in the sintered filter retainer with it's DIN oring and torque it to specs. That's it.

Cool, didn't think it was a go for the MK-10. Done it before... Switched my MK-15, and 2 MK-17's and a MK-2......

The 10+ is technically rated for moderately higher pressure and better cold water performance.

This isn't true. The difference is that the MK10+ uses a rounded piston instead of a knife edge, and the seat is the same as the current MK25 seat. The idea behind the MK10+ was primarily increased flow rate, as the rounded piston edge allowed for more aerodynamic efficiency of getting air into the ambient chamber. An additional (claimed, anyhow) benefit was increased seat life due to the lack of a knife edge.

Unfortunately, in terms of IP stability, it didn't always work out; the piston was known to have some creep issues, like the middle generation MK20. If they ever started making an updated MK10+ piston that works like the MK25 composite piston, I'd gladly convert my MK10s.

In terms of pressure usage and cold water performance they would be identical, with the exception that the MK10+ with it's higher flow rate could (I guess) be theoretically more prone to freezing.

This isn't true. The difference is that the MK10+ uses a rounded piston instead of a knife edge, and the seat is the same as the current MK25 seat. The idea behind the MK10+ was primarily increased flow rate, as the rounded piston edge allowed for more aerodynamic efficiency of getting air into the ambient chamber. An additional (claimed, anyhow) benefit was increased seat life due to the lack of a knife edge.

Unfortunately, in terms of IP stability, it didn't always work out; the piston was known to have some creep issues, like the middle generation MK20. If they ever started making an updated MK10+ piston that works like the MK25 composite piston, I'd gladly convert my MK10s.

In terms of pressure usage and cold water performance they would be identical, with the exception that the MK10+ with it's higher flow rate could (I guess) be theoretically more prone to freezing.

I don't disagree. Scubapro did claim, in their printed material, an increased pressure capability to 4000 psi for the plus and did claim improved cold water performance for it as well. That their claims were specious does not surprise me. In any case, the problems with holding a steady IP I mentioned soon surfaced, and were widely discussed, and that was the main point.

I don't disagree. Scubapro did claim, in their printed material, an increased pressure capability to 4000 psi for the plus and did claim improved cold water performance for it as well. That their claims were specious does not surprise me. In any case, the problems with holding a steady IP I mentioned soon surfaced, and were widely discussed, and that was the main point.

Perhaps it is the matte finish on the seat retainer used to convert a Mk10 to a Mk10+. Or maybe they just changed their engineering standards. The Mk10 may be a pretty popular and good performing 1st stage, but there is a reason that scubapro went back to a larger piston in newer BP designs. I believe it produces a more stable IP over the range of tank pressures.

Iirc, the main bits in the kit were a new (slightly different design) piston and spring, a new HP seat and a new screw-in "cap" that holds the HP seat, and different (stiffer?) HP O-rings. Oh, and a little sticky label that proclaims to all the world that this Mk 10 is now a Mk 10+!

I'll confirm this once I return home tonight--if I can find the bag of old parts.

Well, my memory wasn't quite accurate. Looks like I installed two {2} upgrade kits on my Mk 10 regs: the first upgraded them to Mk 10+ regs (no new spring was involved), and the second improved their cold water performance (a new spring was involved). In fact, I have one brand new, unopened (until tonight) cold water upgrade kit (probably purchased for, but never installed in, my third Mk 10)!

Here's a pic (of the old Mk 10 bits and the Mk 10+ bits that were never installed, and of the NIB Thermo Insulating System kit), and some PDF scans of the instructions.

Scubapro_Mk10_Kits_20131030.jpg

View attachment Scubapro_Mk10PlusUpgrade_20131030.pdf

View attachment Scubapro_Mk10Plus_TIS_Kit_20131030a.pdf

View attachment Scubapro_Mk10Plus_TIS_Kit_20131030b.pdf

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Own a 22 yo Mk 10 +R190. Just dived it a fortnight ago : just perfect as usual. Used it on hundreds of dives, down to 200 ft and even for cave diving. You should be satisfied with yours.

I use a pair of mk10 for sidemount. Convert them to din and you are good to go. I bought one new and the other was 35 $on eBay. The din kits seem to go for around 50. Vintage double hose have an excellent aftermarket service kit that works fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom