Scuba Schools of America/Rusty Berry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue that dude silly.

It's a damn shame that he had ruined scuba for you.

OK...I guess I should have elaborated a bit more. I've always had an interest in scuba diving but somewhat had a fear of being underwater. I can swim just fine and have no problem doing so, I just don't feel comfortable underwater. When I met Rusty and told him this, he says no problem. I signed up for the classes and bought the personal gear that he insists you buy at his store at overinflated prices. He taked you straight back to the pool after you buy your stuff and it becomes automatically used so the 2 day return policy is out. There are also NO prices on anything in the store. I had no intention of buying the Total Diving System, which includes the BC setup, a drysuit, computer, etc...and I told Rusty I wanted to rent the equipment until I was sure that I liked it. Rusty went into this whole speech about how it's so much better to use your own equipment and if I bought everything through them, he said, "if at the end you don't feel comfortable or you just don't like it, we'll buy everything from you at the price you paid for it." His exact words. I even asked him again while he was fitting me for my drysuit if it also applies to the drysuit and his response, "yep, it includes everything you buy today."

After my first day out and diving, I had a really bad experience on the last one and just didn't feel comfortable and out of control. I decided that diving wasn't for me. When I asked Rusty about his guarantee, he completely changed his tune, tried to trick me into the water in order to void the guarantee, which I was never shown or given until I asked for a refund. I finished everything according to the guarantee, but Rusty still claims I didn't finish the program and still has not told me what exactly I didn't complete.

I was eager to learn and a little naive in trusting the owner of the company, but I still believe in people keeping their word, especially when your company's reputation is on the line. I have met others who have told me similar stories about Rusty and the underhanded ways he tricks people into getting stuck with equipment they'll never use again.

So that's mostly my story...I am looking into legal actions because not only is he violating his own guarantee, he's also breaking a verbal contract. I am looking for others who are willing to share their stories so he can be exposed for the liar that he is.

I do plan on suing, I'm just looking for more ammo. Who knows what kind of story this a**hole will spin in court, but I'm not worried, I'm pretty sure he's going to be exposed for the conniving liar he is.

OK...I guess I should have elaborated a bit more. I've always had an interest in scuba diving but somewhat had a fear of being underwater. I can swim just fine and have no problem doing so, I just don't feel comfortable underwater. When I met Rusty and told him this, he says no problem. I signed up for the classes and bought the personal gear that he insists you buy at his store at overinflated prices. He taked you straight back to the pool after you buy your stuff and it becomes automatically used so the 2 day return policy is out. There are also NO prices on anything in the store. I had no intention of buying the Total Diving System, which includes the BC setup, a drysuit, computer, etc...and I told Rusty I wanted to rent the equipment until I was sure that I liked it. Rusty went into this whole speech about how it's so much better to use your own equipment and if I bought everything through them, he said, "if at the end you don't feel comfortable or you just don't like it, we'll buy everything from you at the price you paid for it." His exact words. I even asked him again while he was fitting me for my drysuit if it also applies to the drysuit and his response, "yep, it includes everything you buy today."

After my first day out and diving, I had a really bad experience on the last one and just didn't feel comfortable and out of control. I decided that diving wasn't for me. When I asked Rusty about his guarantee, he completely changed his tune, tried to trick me into the water in order to void the guarantee, which I was never shown or given until I asked for a refund. I finished everything according to the guarantee, but Rusty still claims I didn't finish the program and still has not told me what exactly I didn't complete.

I was eager to learn and a little naive in trusting the owner of the company, but I still believe in people keeping their word, especially when your company's reputation is on the line. I have met others who have told me similar stories about Rusty and the underhanded ways he tricks people into getting stuck with equipment they'll never use again.

So that's mostly my story...I am looking into legal actions because not only is he violating his own guarantee, he's also breaking a verbal contract. I am looking for others who are willing to share their stories so he can be exposed for the liar that he is.

If you hadn't stated his name and your location, I would swear that I knew him here in Charlotte NC.

Hopefully I can help get the ball rolling on this. Rusty Berry gave me the worst customer service experience I have ever had. He is pushy, manipulative, and condescending. I purchased one item from him (a mask) and it will absolutely be the only business he receives from me. When I spoke to him about certification (I didn't get certified through him) he also gave me that line about: "if you're not satisfied, everything is completely refundable". I remember thinking "hmmm, I wonder who determines if I'm satisfied or not".

Thank you for posting those links with the reviews. They were posted after my experience and I have talked to some of the reviewers, which has been very helpful.

I've never had any personal dealings with SSA. I saw their booth at the Long Beach SCUBA show and noticed how hodge podge the equipment was, so I pretty much stayed away.

Lina, I feel your pain. It's a damn shame that you and others had to go through this. Sue the pants off them!!!

I've never dealt with them, but have never heard a single good thing.

A couple friends of mine got completely taken by the guy (bought custom BC's, custom drysuits, regs, tanks that must not be filled anywhere other than his shop, etc....tried to convince them that they were ready for rebreather training directly after OW -- directly after they purchased a bunch of OC gear).

I'm sorry to hear that it has happened to you. But I am glad that you started this thread. Hopefully other will search before doing business with them and this can help steer them in the right direction.

If you're still interested in diving, do let us know. There are a number of good local instructors out there that are not looking to screw you over.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had any negative dealings with Rusty Berry or Scuba Schools of America?

Here's my story: I've always had an interest in scuba diving but somewhat had a fear of being underwater. I can swim just fine and have no problem doing so, I just don't feel comfortable underwater. When I met Rusty at a Travel Show in LA and told him this, he says no problem. Initially, he told me to get certified only costs $400-600 so I signed up for the classes and bought the personal gear that he insists you buy at his store at overinflated prices, another $800. He takes you straight back to the pool after you buy your stuff and it becomes automatically used so the 2 day return policy is out. There are also NO prices on anything in the store. I had no intention of buying the Total Diving System, which includes the BC setup, a drysuit, computer, etc...and I told Rusty I wanted to rent the equipment until I was sure that I liked it. Rusty went into this whole speech about how it's so much better to use your own equipment and if I bought everything through them, he said, "if at the end you don't feel comfortable or you just don't like it, we'll buy everything from you at the price you paid for it." His exact words. I even asked him again while he was fitting me for my drysuit if it also applies to the drysuit and his response, "yep, it includes everything you buy today."

After my first day out and diving, I had a really bad experience on the last one and just didn't feel comfortable and didn't like that I was out of control underwater. I decided that diving wasn't for me. When I asked Rusty about his guarantee, he completely changed his tune, tried to trick me into the water in order to void the guarantee, which I was never shown or given until I asked for a refund. I finished everything according to the guarantee, but Rusty still claims I didn't finish the program and still has not told me what exactly I didn't complete.

If you have had any negative dealings or similar experiences, please send me a message, I'd love to talk to hear your story and compare notes

I'm a little confused by your story. You say that you finished a day of diving but then you claim that he "tried to trick me into the water in order to void the guarantee". if you had just finished a day of diving how exactly did he try and "trick" you into the water? Could you explain?

Lemon,
Sorry, I guess I should've been more specific. Before all this, I had already paid for a boat trip during Chamber Day, which was in May. I brought my dive equipment with me because I wanted to see if I could give it another try. However, I was not comfortable getting into the water at all, and I told Rusty that. He told me if I'm not comfortable, not to go in. When they went in for their 2nd dive, he tried to get me in the water, first to snorkel and then to dive. I refused but after I read their written guarantee for the first time, I understood what he was trying to do. I already had 4 dives, another snorklel and dive session would've put me at 6 and anything over 5 voids the guarantee. I had no knowledge of this till a week after because I had never read the actual guarantee, not until he provided it, AFTER I asked for a refund...hope this clarifys.

Back
Top Bottom