Scuba Tank Stand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen the same design where 1¼ or 1½ inch PVC was used.

I've built a similar tank wrack to Stone's for my 3 single tanks.
A slight modification/improvement I can suggest is to add nylon washers (1/4 ID and 1 inch OD) against the foam, behind the knots/tubes. It helps resist the knots/tubing from pulling through the foam if you're a little rough with your gear like I am.
I also added some extra lenth of rope after the noodle and made a loop, so can hang it on a hook in my garage when not needed.

Mine is on it's 3rd summer in the back of my blazer.

regards

Mike D
:blfish:

Depending on how many tanks you routinely carry. If you are hauling about 10+ tanks like I routinely do, from compressor to boat, a wood box type frame, with reinforced deck hardware corners works well. That way you can stack layer 5 / 4 / 5 tanks, and then strap in with an over cam nylon cargo strap system. I move between trucks, suburbans, vans, etc. Great padding is old neopren sections or carpet pieces. This can also be used in the aft deck or below deck areas on a boat but needs to be securly strapped to deck/stringer tiedowns.

hydroslyder once bubbled...
Does anybody know an easy way to make some kind of tank rack that will keep the tanks from rolling around in the trunk of my car. I hate the sound of them rolling around back there, and figured someone would have a cheaper way to build one of these than buying the 20 dollar racks that only hold 2 tanks.

Thanks

use a good diameter PVC pipes, drill holes through them to tie them together in pairs. of course be sure that they are as far apart as the cylinders are wide. I like this because it works, and it's compact, I just keep them rolled up in the trunk of my car. I've seen the exact same thing for sale, by making it yourself, you can make it fit as many tanks as you want.

This quick and easy design is great, especially if you have a truck.

You need:

2x4 lumber cut in 2 lengths of 33" and 2 lengths at 15".

Lay the long pieces down and attach the short ones across the ends using the fastener of your choice: nails, glue, wood screws or all the above.

Turn it over.

Done.

This will fit a standard 80 with boot. You can make 2 or 3 and put them side by side then stack on top of that. I always put an old towel or beach blanket between tanks when stacking so I dont scratch anyones pretty paint.

Ive attached pic's of this down and dirty design. Its not compact but it is very low profile and takes no set up or positioning and will not crush, break, slip or scratch. On the two short pieces you can attach rubbber or non skid tape like I did (I have a rubber bed liner) for even more stability.

Total cost....$4.00 if you buy the lumber and fasteners. Free if you have leftovers laying around from other home improvement projects.

:spaninq:

I have a tank rack (no photo, sorry) that is just like the rack made with swim noodles, but it has 2 x 4 lumber instead. Three lengths, drilled and held together with poly rope. Very simple, very effective. It's years and years old, and it won't fly out of the back of my truck because it has some weight to it.

If we all got gill implants we wouldnt have to worry about any gear shifting. :)

This thread is about inexpensive tank racks. I think $5 in a rack beats out $500 in doubles and a backplate.

:spaninq:

As in my first post above I do have simple box configurations we move about, and a couple of simple boxes on the boat. We tend to stack tanks, and with different sizes and diameters, are not locked into a cradle.

As for the usage of doubles, if you do have them, it was a suggestion that you don't need a rack. Two double sets side by side in a suburban/truck will hold an additional 6 singles, but do need to be securly strapped down.

Sort of the old cannon ball monkey concept.

Man that is a great one...

I did something similar with pvc pipe but the cushion and moise reduction of the foam would be so much better (and easier to work with)

I am heading to the store this morning!

Thanks for the post!!

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom