Scuba tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmanfunk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello guys quick question how long does a 80 al tank last? Life spand I have one that is in great shape but it is 17 years old the dive shop said they will not hydro it for me due to the tanks age. Is there a law stating this or are they just telling me that for I can buy a tank from them? Thanks in advance

As long as a cylinder will continue to pass the hydro test it is good. There is no expiration date for metal, it is the mechanical streaching and contracting that weakens the walls of the cylinder.

Now, if it is one of the aluminum alloys that were prone to fatigue cracking at the neck threads than they might be over cautious in saying that there could be a valve thread issue. There is a test for that though that most hydro test facicilites will do to all aluminum cylinders before they do the hydro test. It's called an eddy current test that will detect cracks in the threaded area of the cylinder neck. Once again it is a test that would condem the cylinder, not its age.

Technically there is no life span for aluminum or steel cylinders. Some shops put a life span on them such as 20 years. But that is a local thing not government or industry mandated.
One could say typical dive shop nitwits but they are concerned about safety /liability. Not sure which ones first.
It's not a bad idea to remove the old Luxfer cylinders from service that are subject to the sustained load cracking problem but there are many of them that are holding up just fine, so that is controversial.
On a 17 year old cylinder, if it passes hydro , what's the problem. It surely isn't made of the old Luxfer alloy. That in my opinion is a shop looking to make sales. mark up on cylinders is pretty pathetic so I can't see any great advantage in doing that.
If you have another shop in the area, try them.
You could take the tank to a hydro facility yourself but if you have to go back to the same dive shop for air they probably won't fill it anyway.
I take my own cylinders to the hydro facility and have my own compressor so I don't have to put up with that stuff. As long as I do the annual visual and maintain the hydro I've done everything I can until I learn that there is a problem with a certain cylinder.
The cylinder is about the cheapest piece of gear we use in scuba. If the LDS has you over a barrel you might just have to bite the bullet. At least take the cylinder to the scrap yard and get some cash for it. I wouldn't leave it with the LDS though and get money for them as they might be using it themselves. Or drill a hole in the bottom. :)
When I get junk cylinders (even when I give them the $15 scrap value)I turn them into lamps and cut rings from the straight section of the cylinder and weld them into art and sell them. I end up with more money than the cylinder costs so it's a good opportunity for me.

Sounds to me like your LDS is the exception rather than the rule. I'm sure you should be able to find another LDS that will take care of it and appreciate your business. You could also go directly to the Hydro facility, but don't count on getting vis or fill from your current shop.

I still dive with 2 that are 32 years old. I had 3 but the 3rd finally failed the viz.

A certain chain sports shop in the area told me that anything older than 10 years is unsafe, quickly followed by "but we have some tanks on sale." They wont fill them even after they've passed hydro so I shop elsewhere.

Yep. They want to sell you a new tank. Take your tank to a company that services fire extenguishers. They usually have a hydro testing facility and are a lot cheaper and truthful than your local LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom