Scuba = the miscarriage smallness motion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlegros:
I Hope you know where your towel is!
I know exactly where my towel is, it's the rest of me I've lost.

To get back on the subject, I don't think that using Scuba as your only form of exercise would be a great idea. IMHO, scuba actually works better if you have other forms of aerobic exercise to help increase your bottom time and keep you in shape.

Of course I do get a lot of exercise on scuba trips, but mostly from lugging around all the dang gear required to keep me breathing in and out while I'm lazing around under the surface. :)

I know that diving has been a great integral part of my diet/exercise program. Using diving and a moderate diving along with my time in the gym I've gone from 293lbs to 270lbs in just over a month. All this under the supervision of a doctor. I broke my leg (real bad) in Jan. '03 and gained over 70lbs. and needed to do something. From the research I've done and speaking with several doctors, diving is an excellent form of exercise in weight management and diving in colder water moreso. Add in 2 feet vis (like I was in the other night) and you've got one heck of a fat-burner.

You never see fat dive guide/dms who work at all those resorts in the tropics do you? Could be all the diving they do....or more likely they don't get paid enough to eat more than once a day...commonly called the BLD (Breakfast,Lunch, Dinner all in one)
That way you can drink more beer! :)

What about the mimsy borogroves? Have you ever stopped to think about them, just for a minute?!

Rick Inman:
[color=#895a5]I would tell your GF at the other divers computer, just hold the smallness at your buddy. At the 2nd dive the calories unless DIR. LOL![/color]
IMOK.
:lol:
Oh man, that had me rollin'!!

Jason

Well, as far as Weight Watchers counts Scuba Diving. You earn 13 points for one hour of diving. Considering you get about 26 points a day to eat, I'll dive for 2 hours and really burn off the fat!

hnladue:
Well, as far as Weight Watchers counts Scuba Diving. You earn 13 points for one hour of diving. Considering you get about 26 points a day to eat, I'll dive for 2 hours and really burn off the fat!

Hmmm, I am not familiar with weight watcher point system but since I eat about 5 meals when I am on liveaboard (3 pretty good size meals and 2 heavy snack) how many points would that be and how many hours of diving would I need to do? :)

ssra30:
Hmmm, I am not familiar with weight watcher point system but since I eat about 5 meals when I am on liveaboard (3 pretty good size meals and 2 heavy snack) how many points would that be and how many hours of diving would I need to do? :)

That's the difference between us! :D I had the same number of meals on offer on the Mermaid - and the food was good. When I'm that active though I don't like to eat a lot of heavy meals so I mainly eat fruit - and quite small portions of the rest. Couple that with close to 5 hours of bottom time a day and I came out way ahead!! :wink:

hoosier:
The question was how much exercise effect the scuba diving has?
Some surface swims and the gear lugging might count for something. On the whole, diving is not much of a workout. It would be difficult to get your heart rate up and keep it up long enough underwater.
hoosier:
My GF doesn’t believe that this sport doesn’t reduce the body fat because it doesn’t overload the heart and lungs so that there is a minimal exercise effect. That is, the more advanced the diver is, the less effort the divers require. For example, let us compare this sport to running, aerobic dancing, or bicycling. Do you think this sport is harder than running or bicycling?
no
hoosier:
But, no more insults or rude remarks..
Figure the odds. After that blather you have a bunch more coming.

hoosier:
Yeah, You guys are right. I have been drinking a beer after the dinner and didn’t express my point properly. Forgive me! Yesterday was a big day in my life….

Hue~~~ drinking cold water….

The question was how much exercise effect the scuba diving has? My GF doesn’t believe that this sport doesn’t reduce the body fat because it doesn’t overload the heart and lungs so that there is a minimal exercise effect. That is, the more advanced the diver is, the less effort the divers require. For example, let us compare this sport to running, aerobic dancing, or bicycling. Do you think this sport is harder than running or bicycling?

Based on the reference, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) defines aerobic exercise as "any activity that uses large muscle groups, can be maintained continuously, and is rhythmic in nature." It is a type of exercise that overloads the heart and lungs and causes them to work harder than at rest. The important idea behind aerobic exercise today, is to get up and get moving!! There are more activities than ever to choose from, whether it is a new activity or an old one. Find something you enjoy doing that keeps your heart rate elevated for a continuous time period and get moving to a healthier life.

Sorry for confusing you guys. But, no more insults or rude remarks.. Some phrases were over the limits.:wink: You know, I am having a beer,,,,

...I'd still like to know how you came up with "miscarriage smallness motion".... :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom