Scuba Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone gone on a Scuba diving vacation alone? Please do not start a diving solo debate. I always dive with a buddy, so what I am trying to find out is...do you just end up with a buddy down there or what?

It just makes your buddy choice narrower. And it depends on where you're going. For somewhere like Cozumel, I've never had a problem not having a buddy. When I've been the odd-man-out, I let the DM know I'm alone and I tag along with him. Of course, I've been using the same dive op and DM's for years!

Some dive ops will pair you with a buddy when possible. Just make damn sure you two get your signals straight, and you dive plan agreed upon.

edit typo fixed!

I haven't but I know someone who does. This gentleman is a teach in NY and each year vacations in Cozumel. He always finds someone to dive with on the boat or with the boat's DM.

Yes...definately a typo! I'll fix it!

I wouldn't do it any other way. You meet many different people with similar interests (well in the water anyways), you don't feel stuck with the same people all the time and you can leave behind the spouse (irreconcilable differences and interests).

Pairing up really depends on where you go, the operator with whom you are diving and the type of dive. For example, I've been on "easy" dives (shallower depths, warm water, no current, excellent viz), in large groups, no buddy in particular and lead by an instructor or guide. On more technical or demanding dives, I've paired one-on-one with a guide or instructor. On some occassions, I've met up with people at the hotel bar and dived with them the next day. On liveaboards, I've found that the managers generally like to buddy people up for the entire duration of the trip.

I've had few wonderful buddies (with whom I've kept in touch), a few terrible ones and a majority have been alright.

I have only been solo a few times. In my experience, by the time we were underway, you usually knew if there was anyone else solo that you could buddy up with. In fact the DS knew I was and had a few people for me to meet before getting underway. I enjoyed meeting and diving with them. I was curious however about their diving habits on the way out. Communication is the Key! I would seggest doing a little Q&A with them of course before getting wet.

I have read all the posts and it makes my traveling solo an easier decision. :ears: However, I would like some suggestions where to go? Can you help?

It is the exception rather than the rule to have a few solo travelers on board our dive boats every day. Some of our regular customers travel several times each year without bringing a buddy.

Admittedly, it is easier to find that dive buddy if you are boat diving with a shop rather than shore diving. But you may be able to meet some folks to continue diving with throughout your stay in shore diveing meccas like Bonaire.

jepuskar once bubbled...
Has anyone gone on a Scuba diving vacation alone? Please do not start a diving solo debate. I always dive with a buddy, so what I am trying to find out is...do you just end up with a buddy down there or what?

Anything can happen, it is a roll of the dice. If you are in a position to scope out other solo travelers, do it. Try to find someone at about your experience level.

Lievaboards can be a problem if the only other diver traveling alone is a loser. It happened to me once. However, on some boats if the only two solo travelers are greatly mismatched, they may make an effort and have the crew dive with them.

The worst thing is to get stuck with someone who is unsafe, or blows through a tank in 30 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom