Scuba vs. Surf Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottpops

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I was just wondering the difference. I am looking to buy a new 3mm wetsuit, for diving, and I have been trying to figure this out. The only real difference I can tell so far just by browsing is that the scuba ones always have knee pads where as some of the surf ones don't. What are the general advantages of buying one marketed toward scuba? Thanks!

I've never asked an expert in the field what the answer is, so I can't say with certainty. But, I haven't really found a difference. There are those that say the neoprene used in dive suits is different than that of surf suits, so you shouldn't use a surf suit to dive because it won't work well. Maybe they're right?!?! Here's what I know. . . I use surf wetsuits exclusively and have yet to have a problem. I use a Body Glove Method 3/2 (which Body Glove advertises as both a surf&dive wetsuit) for my warmer water dives (about 100 dives in it) and a O'Neill Mutant 5/4 when I dive in SoCal in water down to 60 deg. F. (a dozen or so dives). I dive these wetsuits because they're what I have (I've been a surfer a lot longer than I've been a diver), they fit well, and they keep me warm. I dove a Henderson 3mm and it felt no different and I was no warmer than in my Body Glove. It was just a heck of a lot more expensive. $99.00 vs. $250.00. Maybe the Henderson would last longer, I don't know.

So, to answer your question, I really don't know what the advantages of buying a scuba wetsuit are. If you can get a better deal on a surf wetsuit and it fits properly, I say go for it.

BTW: I've never seen a surf wetsuit without knee pads. Which one are you talking about?

Last edited:
Like Fishoutuvh20, I see no difference between my 3 mm surf wetsuit and my 3 mm dive wetsuit.

They both keep me warm and they are comparable in their ease of donning/doffing.

The only difference that I have seen is the price.

My surf wetsuit that I use diving is a rip curl F-bomb 3/2. It kept me warm surfing in 56 degree water when I was working in Cali, and so far does a good job of keeping me warm while diving in 70+ degree water. Of course, because it is a "top of the line" surf wetsuit, it is not any less expensive than the dive wetsuits, but it looks a lot better! haha

It does have the stretchy neoprene, fully glued seams, and this nice fuzzy material on the inside. Also it has a pocket for your key, good for if you are on a shore dive. It has knee pads too, as short boarders put a lot of wear on the wetsuit knees from duck diving.

In the past wet suits tended to be made of one thckness (3mm, 5mm or 7mm), but now it is common to have thinner material in the arms and flexible areas to improve mobility - just like a surf suit, so any difference is not significant.

What ever you get, get the suit that fits you best as it will end up being warmest.

According to a salesperson at one of the wet suit manufacturers we have here in Hawaii (EXCEL)the main diference is that the diving wet suits are "pre crushed" neoprene to make them less bouyant while providing more dense coverage. For example the 4/3 mil full that I have is made out of 7mil that was crushed down to 4mil. As mentioned in the earlier post the lower legs and arms are made out of the thinner 3 mil for flexibility.

The "stretchy" wetsuits and wetsuits that are designed for surface activities tend to be easier to don and more comfortable to wear than wetsuits made for diving. Wetsuits designed for diving should be made of stiffer neoprene that resists compression to a greater degree. The more the neoprene resists compression, the thicker it will be at depth and the warmer you will be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom