scuba with a cast! Yay!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, ya got me on that one... *chuckle* true enough! *tips muh hat*

zeN|| once bubbled...
Not as strange as diving in a cast! :) zeN

Wrapping a regular cast will not work for scuba; it'll have a lot of air inside that will be subject to severe squeeze & that's no good.
I had my arm in a cast for a year after messing my wrist up, had a removeable polypropelyene cast moulded to a mould of my arm, it worked great.
I'd be concerned if you're doing any deep/deco diving, the damaged area may have offgassing issues.

Well that's a good point but I don't think a shallow dive to 60 feet would be an issue, there isn't much room between the cast and the skin, and as long as the cast is dry it's plenty strong enough, I never thought the thread starter was thinking of a deep or tech dive with only one fin and a broken ankle, that would be crazy:) zeN

Several Comments:

No you are not a troll, nor a woman, but it could be said that you look like both, he he he.

Sorry to hear about the ankle, real bummer, especially right before our trip.

Diving is going to be a bit difficult for you, probaly not the diving, but the getting in/out of the water, but this can be worked around with a good buddy (Jason :). A shore dive from baby beach may be a better way to handle it. Hobble into the lagoon, and get bouyant, then a short tow out to the reef (25 yds) and your off to desceding to the 35-40ft reef. I am not sure of the currents in that area, but the last time I was there, it was very minimal (that being relative to a healthy ankle). With the right ankle brace, you may be able to practice in the water, just in the snorkle gear, which should give you a fair indication of the stress of either single fin, or dual fin action. There will be some pressures acting on the bone at depth, but it probaly won't hurt until you get back to the boat, then shore, then a good whisky.

I think the best advice, is to discuss this with the Doc, as he may be a diver himself, as well as can provide you with the best alternative for supporting the ankle, considering the severity. There are many different types of supports out there on the market that could be utilized.

Keeping the dives, fairly shallow (less than 60ft), as there are many good dives at 35 to 60 ft, and taking it easy underwater. Choose a good calm day as well for the first dive to see how everything holds up. I am not sure how the dive shop will react to your situation, but if you are seriously considering it, they may not mind. A DM will probaly be underwater with you anyhow (cant wait to see you talk him into towing you around the reef mate! 6ft 220lb scottish seamonster). There are great dives without hardly any current, and high visibility, that are fairly effortless for diving. Easy to say when you aren't the one with a broken ankle. You can kick me when it heals.

To the comment about not believing until seeing, I will have my U/W Camera with me, and post them just for you.

Looking forward to the trip,

Clyde=-)

I don't think an ankle weight (or 5 of them) would offset the bouyancy of an inflatable cast.

In response to several folks inquiries, I actually DO have the fiberglass and goretex cast, so other than being full of stinking seawater, from what I understand, the cast will not be damaged. So that's that.

I think what I'm going to try to do is just go out there, do the dive as best I can, and cut the damn thing off when I'm done (or maybe even beforehand) Then I'll go back to the doc and have it replaced.

Pain, and more pain.....Wondering if the cold, along with the stress of diving is going to get that ankle-puppy throbbing like a private moment in a bathroom stall with no one around, hmmm just a thought ~Z

fearguis once bubbled...
Pressure should not be an issue, as I'll actually be fairly well healed anyway. (I'll be off crutches by the time we get there, but the cast has to stay)

fearguis --

fwiw, there is at least some body of research to indicate recently broken bones are more prone to DCI. I'm not recommending you not go... just be aware of the potential added risk and adjust your bottom times to keep nitrogen loading conservative. I would also highly recommend you get a signed medical release letter from your doctor and carry it with you... that would eliminate any and all unexpected static when you arrive at your dive destination / boat, etc.

fearguis once bubbled...
... I was planning on going to a max of 150 feet, (to see a nice wreck), but that's not necessary. I'll probably stay at about 75 or so....
Cost/Risk Vs Benifit Analysis

Risk
1. Potential increased risk of DCI (DAN Article) http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=140
2. Ankle is weak at 1 month and not fully healed. You could rebreak it under the stress of diving or lugging gear.
3. Potential life long damage from not letting it heal properly.
4. Infection from something interesting growing inside the cast.
5. Your friends and ship mates throw you overboard due to the "aroma" coming from your cast.:wacko:

Benefits
1. You get to dive Aruba, ...but then you go every year.

If you want to go and dive, go for it. If it were me, I would not do it. The risk Vs benefits are just not there. Particularly a dive to 150 FSW or to a location you go to every year.

Not a Doctor or other person of knowledge. Just my $0.02.

pasley once bubbled...

Cost/Risk Vs Benifit Analysis

Risk
1. Potential increased risk of DCI (DAN Article) http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=140
2. Ankle is weak at 1 month and not fully healed. You could rebreak it under the stress of diving or lugging gear.
3. Potential life long damage from not letting it heal properly.
4. Infection from something interesting growing inside the cast.
5. Your friends and ship mates throw you overboard due to the "aroma" coming from your cast.:wacko:

Benefits
1. You get to dive Aruba, ...but then you go every year.

If you want to go and dive, go for it. If it were me, I would not do it. The risk Vs benefits are just not there. Particularly a dive to 150 FSW or to a location you go to every year.

Not a Doctor or other person of knowledge. Just my $0.02.

Have you people ever broken anything?! Dear lord.

I drove to Maine and went whitewater rafting some class IV about a week after I broke my finger. I was walking around on a broken ankle 3 weeks afterward. It's really not that big a deal.

Just go, but talk to your doctor and be careful.

Back
Top Bottom