ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2014 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's up with that crap Gary? We catch the same flight out of Atlanta as you and Cindy for $100 less? :confused:

Airlines don't make any sense at all on their pricing. Maybe I should book a flight from up north somewhere and then just catch it after it arrives in Atlanta. I've know people that would book returning flights to Birmingham, then get off in Atlanta cause that's where they lived. It was cheaper.

I'm not going to say I called it in Bonaire... Nope, not gonna do it!

---------- Post added September 12th, 2013 at 10:03 PM ----------

Ironically enough, it's more expensive to fly direct from ATL > RTB than the same exact flight starting from FTL > ATL > RTB. :shakehead:

Airlines don't make any sense at all on their pricing. Maybe I should book a flight from up north somewhere and then just catch it after it arrives in Atlanta. I've know people that would book returning flights to Birmingham, then get off in Atlanta cause that's where they lived. It was cheaper.

It's called hidden-city ticketing, and could eventually catch up with you, especially if you participate in the airline's frequent flyer program. They can confiscate miles and cancel future bookings if you get caught doing it too much.

Also, it won't work the way you are thinking of doing it. If you don't show up for the first leg, the rest of your itinerary is canceled. I did a lot of research on these loopholes trying to find cheap tickets to South Africa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

We are not gonna make this one. School is not out yet and we already have an anniversary trip planned to Aruba the last week of May, which is the week after the kids get out if school.

Clay and I are doing a week prior to the Invasion and then the Invasion itself (Apr. 19 - May 4/14) - flights from YVR (Vancouver, BC via Houston, TX) are several hundred dollars cheaper to Roatan than they were to Bonaire (about $500 cheaper actually), so I am super happy about this destination - oh and did I mention, my flight is BOOKED ALREADY in order to lock in that price, just in case. :D

The weekend prior to the Invasion is Easter (so that's a nice way to celebrate this holiday being en route/arriving in Roatan) and the weekend after is Mother's Day, so I need to be home with my little wee gal for that over Easter (which she can spend with her dad and grandparents), so this year will be a bit different arriving early instead of staying late in order to welcome everyone ahead of time.

P.S. Denis and Roxanne, I am VERY STOKED about the change in dates to be earlier in the year for 2014 for many reasons.

1. For the past 3 years that I have attended the Invasions, I have had to miss out on an annual long weekend motorcycle ride that my friends organize called the Summer Solstice that occurs, you guessed it, over the summer solstice and which has always coincided with the Invasion. Finally, in 2014 I won't have to choose between these two events - I can attend both!!!

2. I live in Vancouver, BC where we don't get that many months over very nice/sunny/warm weather. When you plan an Invasion during June/July, that's PEAK summer season here for me and eats up some of my rare sunny days where it sure does rain a lot - this also eats into my motorcycle time. :)

3. Again, because I live so far away - way up north in BC Canada, if I travel far away for a vacation, the flights are typically quite expensive. So I need to book to be away for two weeks instead of one to maximize on that expensive airfare. Glad I won't be gone for two weeks of my "summer" now so that I can enjoy the weekends (non-working time) of that summer and be actually away for the Invasion during some of our rainy months. yeeee hawwwww!!!

4. Back to diving - April/May is low vis season here in our local waters with the plankton blooming, so heck... if the vis sucks here, I might as well be a BLUE WATER PRINCESS IN ROATAN!!!!

I am very excited over how 2014 is shaping up to look.

Geeezzzzzz that is early in the summer... Have a wedding to plan for my baby son first of June... have to weigh my options...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom