ScubaMax Diver Adjustable Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was thinking about buying one of the ScubaMax Diver Adjustable Octopus
and I was just wondering if anyone has used them and what you thought about them.

Thanks
Phil

Has no one used these at all...

Phil

Hi Phil,

I am not familiar with that reg, but if memory serves me right, Ocean Divers is an OEM that also makes regs for several other brand name companies. One of the important things to keep in mind is you need to be able to get it serviced locally and of course, if you do a lot of traveling, you want a reg you can get parts for in lots of destinations.

If you are a DIY type, it follows that you must be able to buy parts for it.

couv

...there is no reason to buy an "adjustable" octopus......
Buy a simple, moderate breathing (high performance tend to freeflow when inverted or you are diving in current) second stage for an octo (unless you are diving overhead environs.). The octo will "Probably" never be used, but if it is, it is designed as an ascent emergency air source, which means you will probably only be using it for a minute or two. The more complicated the octo is (adjustments, venturi levers, etc.) the more chance it will require more frequent maintenance. You want something simple, reliable and as bullet-proof as you can get.

I like the adjustabe factor just so I can keep it from freeflowing if need be. My main second is adjustable so if I need to adjust the octo even in a critical situation I think that I would be OK.

I do understand you point too.

Thanks for the input...

Phil

skdvr:
I was thinking about buying one of the ScubaMax Diver Adjustable Octopus
and I was just wondering if anyone has used them and what you thought about them.

Thanks
Phil

Hi Phil. We have a number of customer that are using this octopus. We have sold over 200 of them, and have never had one returned. Several of our local customer use them and find them to be as good as any they have ever used. The manufacturer, Ocean Diver Supply, has quite a good reputation and make first and second stages for several technical diving specialty companies. You can use the following link to take a look at the octopus.

Scuba Max XR2002 Octopus - Dive Adjustable

Thanks,
Phil Ellis

hodagey:
...there is no reason to buy an "adjustable" octopus......
Buy a simple, moderate breathing (high performance tend to freeflow when inverted or you are diving in current) second stage for an octo (unless you are diving overhead environs.). The octo will "Probably" never be used, but if it is, it is designed as an ascent emergency air source, which means you will probably only be using it for a minute or two. The more complicated the octo is (adjustments, venturi levers, etc.) the more chance it will require more frequent maintenance. You want something simple, reliable and as bullet-proof as you can get.
hmm there is not much here I agree with. Lets say that probability failed and the backup reg comes into use... Chances are the sh!+ just hit the fan. Your air consumption probably at LEAST doubled! You are not panicked (I hope) but you heart is pumping. While you are sorting yourself out and your buddy out, you will be sucking on the reg pretty hard. Personally I want a reg that breathes just as nice as my primary. Plus, chances are (ok first I must say this is regarding casual recreational divers, not tech divers or those that drill for emergencies) if someone goes out of air, they're going to take your primary out of your mouth so YOU are going to be breathing the octo. Have a nice reg with the adjustment screw tightened in to increase the cracking pressure of the reg, pop it in your mouth and adjust as needed (if needed). Another thing you can do is have your backup bungeed on a necklace under your chin and that greatly reduces the chance that it freeflows....

David P:
hmm there is not much here I agree with. Lets say that probability failed and the backup reg comes into use... Chances are the sh!+ just hit the fan. Your air consumption probably at LEAST doubled! You are not panicked (I hope) but you heart is pumping. While you are sorting yourself out and your buddy out, you will be sucking on the reg pretty hard. Personally I want a reg that breathes just as nice as my primary. Plus, chances are (ok first I must say this is regarding casual recreational divers, not tech divers or those that drill for emergencies) if someone goes out of air, they're going to take your primary out of your mouth so YOU are going to be breathing the octo. Have a nice reg with the adjustment screw tightened in to increase the cracking pressure of the reg, pop it in your mouth and adjust as needed (if needed). Another thing you can do is have your backup bungeed on a necklace under your chin and that greatly reduces the chance that it freeflows....

David that was my thougth too, I just did not put it that well. Since my primary has the adjustment screw on it and I am use to using it I am not worried about not knowing what to do in an emergency to get it to breath the way I want it.

PhilEllis:
Hi Phil. We have a number of customer that are using this octopus. We have sold over 200 of them, and have never had one returned. Several of our local customer use them and find them to be as good as any they have ever used. The manufacturer, Ocean Diver Supply, has quite a good reputation and make first and second stages for several technical diving specialty companies. You can use the following link to take a look at the octopus.

Scuba Max XR2002 Octopus - Dive Adjustable

Thanks,
Phil Ellis

Well Phil I bought it from you already. I just got it the other day and thank you very much for the quick service and shipment.

I did just send you an email though with a question...

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom