Scubapro MK17/C300 or Mk11/R195

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Mk11/C300 set and I am looking at upgrading. If your 2nd stage is higher than your 1st stage your breathing will more difficult, meaning if you are looking up. I just don't like the way the C300 breathes period, I wish I had never bought it. I realize that my experience level is not comparable to some answering this thread at this point but I can say that there are other reg's I wish I would have purchased to begin with. I recently dove an Atomic B2 second stage with a matching 1st stage (not sure exactly which one) but it breathed so smooth. I was seriously liking that reg set. Good luck in your search.

Location of the second stage relative to the first stage makes no difference in normal configuration where the tank is carried by the diver. the orientation of the second stage does. barrel based seconds will breath more difficult with diaphragm facing up be it atomic or scubapro or xyz brand.

I have the Mk11/C300 set and I am looking at upgrading. If your 2nd stage is higher than your 1st stage your breathing will more difficult, meaning if you are looking up. I just don't like the way the C300 breathes period, I wish I had never bought it. I realize that my experience level is not comparable to some answering this thread at this point but I can say that there are other reg's I wish I would have purchased to begin with. I recently dove an Atomic B2 second stage with a matching 1st stage (not sure exactly which one) but it breathed so smooth. I was seriously liking that reg set. Good luck in your search.

I'll chime in. I own the Mk11/C200. I would recommend the first stage absolutely. The second stage, however...I've tried the mk17 (same basic design as the mk11) with an S600 and with a G250, and both breathe better than the C200. Beaverdiver has a point in that the C2/300 are kind of cheap to be pairing with a balanced regulator. Of course, it's an entry level second stage, and it breathes as such. I intend to upgrade to a G250V or S600 down the road. For now, though, I've yet to hit the limits of air flow on the C200, and don't anticipate doing so until I start task-loading my dives.

Location of the second stage relative to the first stage makes no difference in normal configuration where the tank is carried by the diver. the orientation of the second stage does. barrel based seconds will breath more difficult with diaphragm facing up be it atomic or scubapro or xyz brand.

So, any reg (2nd stage) will breathe more difficult when inverted and higher than your first stage reg for example?

I think I have already answered both of your question but may be it was not very clear.
In normal config single hose regs are not sensitive to the location of the second stage relatively to the first. I we start looking deeper there will be slight influence by the ambient pressure difference between 1st and second but a human will not notice it.

Not every second stage will breath harder upside down but the barrel design based ones will. There are other designs which will breath harder in other positions.

So, any reg (2nd stage) will breathe more difficult when inverted and higher than your first stage reg for example?

I think I have already answered both of your question but may be it was not very clear.
In normal config single hose regs are not sensitive to the location of the second stage relatively to the first. I we start looking deeper there will be slight influence by the ambient pressure difference between 1st and second but a human will not notice it.

Not every second stage will breath harder upside down but the barrel design based ones will. There are other designs which will breath harder in other positions.

Got it...thanks

Guys, I'm thinking to buy a new regulator set so what do you think of MK25 & C300?

Appreciate your comments!

@Raven007374

If you are diving in temperatures around 45', you might want to dive a sealed diaphragm 1st stage.

Unfortunately is the MK17 the only model which you can choose if you want this type of 1st stage from Scubapro.

In the thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/446262-most-desirable-scubapro-1st-stage.html I discussed why I think that the MK17 and the MK11 are substandard models in comparison with other diaphragm 1sts manufacturer.

Getting yourself the MK11 -R195 or MK17 would combine all disadvantages of a diaphragm 1st together with an unbalanced 2nd stage.

Since the IP difference between full tank and near empty tank is exceptional high ( SP itself expects an IP difference up to 12psi for the MK11-17 and unfortunately they are often even higher) you start with a not very easy breathing regulator (in comparison to other models), but when you are at your safety stop in the end of the dive your regulator will breath as smooth as it can.

If you are considering buying this model, I think you are better off with a MK2 -R195, it's cheaper,a good cold water regulator and it will breath up to its capacity in the beginning of the dive, and only in the end it might breath a little harder.

It would be a bit different if you would combine one of those model with a balanced 2nd stage like the G260 - G250 or the S600 and the A700.
The balancing of those second stage would it make not very probable that you actually can feel this design flaw of SP.

If on the other hand you would consider to choose the piston models like the MK25 - S600 - G250 - A700, you would dive some of the best regulators on the market.

What's that??

Beaverdiver in holidays?

@busaiteen

MK25 is an excellent 1st stage, no problem with that.

I would go for a balanced 2nd, like the S600 or the G260, the 2nds are more important for the overall performance of your regulator concerning the inhalation effort.

I might be wrong, but I have the feeling that the C- Serie will be cancelled completely soon, this year SP took already the C200 out of the program.

I think they still could not completely solve the issues concerning the lever configuration, which gave them a lot of problems with the unlucky X650 ten years ago.

So invest a bit more and stay on the save side.

Good luck

I had MK11 - R195 as my first reg set-up, and as many here says it is not a good combo with 1 stage as balanced and 2nd stage as simple downstream. Don't buy such a combo you will regret it sooner rather than later. I changed to MK17 - S600 after 6 dives and wooow what a difference. My better half use MK11 - S600 just as good for warm or temperated water. MK11 - S600 is slightly ligther, but as the price difference is not big, if you may dive in cold water go for MK17 - S600, if you exclusively will be diving in warm water go for MK11 - S600. as 2nd stage wheter it is G260, S600 or A700 I don't think you will feel much difference, if any, at depths less than 130 ft. Just my advise.

Guys, I'm thinking to buy a new regulator set so what do you think of MK25 & C300?

Appreciate your comments!
A Big Yes on the MK25.

I'm not as impressed w/ the C300, I would go w/ G260, S600 or A700. We use the MK25/S600 in our training & rental.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom