ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I think my favorite setup is a BP/W & Steel tank, single or doubles. Even in a drysuit I use hardly any weight. With SS plate, STA & wing in a 3 mil suit, even with AL tank, no weight. I dive with different stuff depending on what I'm doing, but its pretty tough to beat a BP/W.

If no money objects, I will recommend Scubapro MK25/S600 or MK17/S600 both are balance regs, I have both regs and satisfaction on it..

This is all excellent info and a big help to someone just getting their fins wet! The scubapro ladyhawk was my first choice, at least visually because it looks like a better fit for woman. I want to be comfortable! I was a bit nervous of floating face down with back inflation. But that may not be factual, just something I speculated, looking at the design. There is a LDS that will let me try stuff before buying. I would like to keep the costs reasonable but don't mine 'upgrading' as I expect this stuff will last me for years to come and I want to do it right the first time.

Piccola:
This is all excellent info and a big help to someone just getting their fins wet! The scubapro ladyhawk was my first choice, at least visually because it looks like a better fit for woman. I want to be comfortable! I was a bit nervous of floating face down with back inflation. But that may not be factual, just something I speculated, looking at the design. There is a LDS that will let me try stuff before buying. I would like to keep the costs reasonable but don't mine 'upgrading' as I expect this stuff will last me for years to come and I want to do it right the first time.

Scubapro Ladyhawk, LDS, and costs reasonable should not be used in the same post. It is a nice BC, but MSRP is pretty steep.

If you are looking to keep the cost down and still get a top quality regulator, then get the MK11. It is a diaphram regulator so it is a sealed unit. The MK17 upgrade has a silicone diaphram and a transmitter covering the the regulator diaphram. Other than that they are the EXACT SAME REGS. In either case, water never touches the inside of the regulator unless you forget to put the dust cover on before you rinse it. Save the money and go with the MK11.

Don't worry about going face down with the Ladyhawk, just get your weighting balanced correctly and don't overinflate. It should work great for you.

This is great to find so many experienced opinions. I'm trying to take it all in an learn in the process. I tried on some stuff at my LDS and played around in the pool for a bit. This shop sways on the side of BCD's with no weight integration, which is not bad since I have the hips for them! Seems to make my middle feel less bulky. I tried on the cumberbun style but really did not like it. I am looking at the Scubapro classic sport BCD with the attached spare regulator, and the MK17/S555. At least so far.

all the regs from the top companies are good, with the reg giving better performance with the more $$$ you spend. At the top of the range they introduce titanium regs, which can't be used with high O2 levels. and the X650 was a crap design that i think has been removed?

Piccola:
This is great to find so many experienced opinions. I'm trying to take it all in an learn in the process. I tried on some stuff at my LDS and played around in the pool for a bit. This shop sways on the side of BCD's with no weight integration, which is not bad since I have the hips for them! Seems to make my middle feel less bulky. I tried on the cumberbun style but really did not like it. I am looking at the Scubapro classic sport BCD with the attached spare regulator, and the MK17/S555. At least so far.
That rig will do you fine, and is probably close to what you learned on so you will be comfortable with it. The MK17 is a great first stage, and the S555 is a very good second stage, although not quite as adjustable as the S600 (I have both, and they both breathe similarly).

So if you're 100% satisfied and your mind is made up, go for it. If you are willing to consider more advice, however:

Back inflate is more comfortable in the water. Anyone who tells you it is a problem on the surface is clueless, but it is true that it is not as simple as a plain jacket... on the surface. Underwater, where you spend most of your time, back inflate is better for keeping you nice and horizontal, as you should be.

If you want to feel LOT less bulky, however, ask your shop about a backplate and wing setup (bp/w). It should cost similar to the BC you're looking at. Huge reduction in clutter, and the best for keeping your position in the water. Fantastic for cold water diving. Also removes some (but not all) weight from your belt.

(There's the formal bp/w recommendation people were expecting!)

OK, I finally made up my mind after reading and shopping around. Just got my gear yesterday! I went with the ScubaPro MK17/S555 regulator, Ladyhawk BC and I opted for the power air option which serves as my spare regulator. Now to get in the water! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom