ScubaPro's new "D.I.R." system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I think the problem with Dive equipment is its evolution has slowed down/ stopped and manufactures are now casting about for a new way to market themselves to get a greater market share. Has there honestly been any revolutionary new ideas in the diving world in the last 20 years.

You obviously have never heard of Bill Hamilton, author of some of the very first helium tables for non-military, non-commercial use in the 1990s. Before this all helium use and helium deco was a major voodoo subject to State secrets and lock and proprietery key. So yeah there have been some revolutions in the past 20 yrs, the fact that you can buy something like V-planner for ~$100 US is huge.

You obviously have never heard of Bill Hamilton, author of some of the very first helium tables for non-military, non-commercial use in the 1990s. Before this all helium use and helium deco was a major voodoo subject to State secrets and lock and proprietery key. So yeah there have been some revolutions in the past 20 yrs, the fact that you can buy something like V-planner for ~$100 US is huge.

I agree with you, although I think his comment was directed at a narrower interpretation of "dive equipment".

When I consider that when in back mount I dive a G250, a variant of the original Jet Fins, and BP wing technology that is not substantially differnent than the SP Buoyancy Control Pack I started diving with in 1985, his point of view has some merit.

However, a great deal of progress has occurred in equipment and configuration over the last 20 years, with sidemount being among the most noteable. It has over the last 20 years come from a back yard do it your self proposition to a mainstream configuration with everyone trying to get in on the game.

Like most things in diving, the dive industry as a whole had very little to do with the evolution of something better. That hard work gets done by a few dedicated individuals and then only once it is accepted does the rest of the industry jump on the bandwagon.

The evolution of nitrox, trimix, gas switching, etc, is a prime example of this.

The US Scubapro website doesn't carry this rig, at least not that I saw when I glanced at it this morning. .

My understanding is that SP is targeting March for the US release.

I am really happy Scubapro is picking up the D.I.R. moniker. Maybe not quite where Halcyon left off... In any case, "D.I.R." has been dying too quietly for some time now and deserves proper resuscitation by a well capitalized company. :)

I am really happy Scubapro is picking up the D.I.R. moniker. Maybe not quite where Halcyon left off... In any case, "D.I.R." has been dying too quietly for some time now and deserves proper resuscitation by a well capitalized company. :)

hahahahaha!! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

You are joking, right??

Peace,
Greg

However, a great deal of progress has occurred in equipment and configuration over the last 20 years, with sidemount being among the most noteable. It has over the last 20 years come from a back yard do it your self proposition to a mainstream configuration with everyone trying to get in on the game.

I would add rebreathers to this as well. 20 years ago they were pretty much a military only item, now they have become pretty much the norm for technical diving with many different flavours and manufacturers.

I would add rebreathers to this as well. 20 years ago they were pretty much a military only item, now they have become pretty much the norm for technical diving with many different flavours and manufacturers.

Norm? Commonplace, perhaps. But "the norm"?

Norm? Commonplace, perhaps. But "the norm"?

OK, commonplace. In the past 3 years, outside of my DIR trips, the RB to OC ratio is running about 8 or 9 to 1 so I would call that the norm but commonplace is good too.

I also saw them at DEMA & the SP 360 Wings (single & double) are identical to the Halcyon's Eclipse/Evolve (including pricing). The only real difference is the bigger knob on the OPV and the inflater (same one that's on their recreational BC's, both buttons on the front). Storage Pak & BP looked identical (bet you could bolt up a "Cinch" if you wanted to). When talking with SP, they claimed that they worked "exclusively" with David Rhea on the design. I talked with Halcyon and they said that they had No part in it.

On another note, if you fit into a stock size drysuit, both SP & BARE are going to have drysuits (identical to FLX Extreme-no turbo soles-RB) w/2 bellows pockets, that will Retail around $1400. That will be pretty attractive for those of you on a budget. Since the FLX Extreme came out, we've been doing these over the TLS350's (dives identical but tougher suit).

RJP Norm? Commonplace, perhaps. But "the norm"?

I'll 2nd that (Commonplace)! When we go out off the coast on the Independence II, their crew (4 divers) are all on RB's and I would say that it is almost getting to a 50/50 split OC vs RB and on the Tec Trips, it's almost all RB's. The boat holds 11 divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom