ScubaPro's new "D.I.R." system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly......

“DIR” is a German acronym for “Deutsches Institut fuer Reaktionsfördernd "... It's a sub-division of D.I.N.... but deals with contentious and debatable things that are set as standards. :wink:

It's got nothing to do with cave diving.... we definitely aren't associated with it...

Spread it around.....

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I thought Halcyon already was that:eyebrow:

... or Dive Rite, or OMS ... depending on who you're talking to ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Judging by the looks of it: Not Likely. I hope that JJ would have the gumption to say "I'll build your tech gear, but I won't be making stuff I wouldn't use."

Well EE sells stuff that presumably JJ wont use. Despite the hardline appearance of GUE and DIR, I think they are fairly reasonable at the top regarding gear even if it is something they dont advocate. It is totally plausible that Halcyon is manufacturing this to some standard SP has set forward. Although, honestly I have finger on the pulse of tech manufacturing practices. Well none other than the rebranding of SP regs as halcyon :)

I thought Halcyon already was that:eyebrow:

Nah, its only noxious if you pay alot for crap. Halcyon is expensive, but usually not crappy in quality or support. This SP wing may be just a marketing gimmick, which is noxious.

Personally I think the problem with Dive equipment is its evolution has slowed down/ stopped and manufactures are now casting about for a new way to market themselves to get a greater market share. Has there honestly been any revolutionary new ideas in the diving world in the last 20 years.

Personally I think the problem with Dive equipment is its evolution has slowed down/ stopped and manufactures are now casting about for a new way to market themselves to get a greater market share. Has there honestly been any revolutionary new ideas in the diving world in the last 20 years.

Let's see. How about LEDs, digital cameras, and broad acceptance of Nitrox?

oh, yeah! have you seen the utd sidemount rig? with a gas-block-type manifold? that's pretty revolutionary!

Let's see. How about LEDs, digital cameras, and broad acceptance of Nitrox?

Helium usage too. But honestly, how many different ways do you want there to be to compensate for buoyancy? Sometimes improvements are harder to see, because you get closer to ideal.

oh, yeah! have you seen the utd sidemount rig? with a gas-block-type manifold? that's pretty revolutionary!

Well as I've said on another board...

I actually like that UTD is tossing ideas out for the marketplace to help sort through. Maybe it has some merit, maybe it'll flop. But to have some "elite" team of designers go through a zillion prototypes to release a "final" product which is nearly obsolete by the time it makes it to the catalog is not necessarily a suitable path forward for ideas and the potential products & needs for 2012 and beyond.

I don't think scubapro is doing anything similar since their D.I.R. wing offerings look like stuff Diverite was building 5 years ago (which generally can work with modifications like shortening inflator hoses, cutting off bungies and pull dumps).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom