ScubaPro's new "D.I.R." system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon legally abandoned the "DIR" trademark in 2004 - at least in the USA.

In any event, SP does not own the DIR logo, but was acknowledging the trademark on its web site.

But I will acknowledge that I know nothing about national vs EU laws, much less about copyright laws in this context.

That's the way I interpret it also. Sounds like they are attepting to market this rig as being "DIR" compliant. In order to use that term in the EU, they must acknowledge the registered status in that region.

That's a nice claim. What's it founded on? :rofl3:

It looks like they are a Halcyon/DUI dealer.... who have just screwed Halcyon?

LOL. Well, it says so on thier website ...so it must be true :wink:

Sorry DevonDiver, seems no one screwed Halcyon.

That's good then. I hadn't heard that Halcyon had ditched the DIR logo... but it makes sense, because it isn't on my new Evolve. (Damn...does that mean my old wings now have a rarity value? ha ha)

It seems tacky to me that Scubapro would use that trademark. The history is well known...and they are in no way connected with that history or concept.

Give it a few months and there'll be a host of Scubapro fanatics joining the DIR forum to explain to all and sundry what DIR is 'about'...and how SP knows best :wink: For that matter... will this group be handed over to Scubapro for ownership now??

What happens when SpareAir decide to jump on the same bandwagon? :rofl3:

It looks like they are a Halcyon/DUI dealer.... who have just screwed Halcyon?

I think they're basically Halcyon-EU, so I doubt that.

Halcyon is also rebranding SP regs, so there's a working business relationship there.

And like rjack pointed out, Halcyon abandoned the DIR trademark.

I'd start out by assuming this is all above board, and if not at worst its just a marketing issue between three business partners and it'll get worked out.

The use of the logo is fairly insignificant ... but you'd think if they're gonna market gear as D.I.R., they'd at least make it DIR compliant ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The use of the logo is fairly insignificant ... but you'd think if they're gonna market gear as D.I.R., they'd at least make it DIR compliant ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh I'm sure that after a year or two they will figure out that being "DIR" is a pain in the ass and they will drop it. I'm sure that JJ is on the phone with the SP guys saying "Are you guys SURE you want to say that?"

Peace,
Greg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom