Sea Life Center Scientific Diver dies in training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From this morning's Daily News

Panic may have led to death.
From this morning's Daily News:
EXPERIENCED: The SeaLife Center scientist apparently had trouble with his weight belt.

By JAMES HALPIN
jhalpin@adn.com

(Published: September 27, 2007)
An Alaska SeaLife Center diver who died in Resurrection Bay after his tank ran out of air may have panicked while trying to remove his weight belt, Alaska State Troopers said Wednesday.

Matthew Myers, 44, died Tuesday near Fox Island about 5 miles from Seward while he and a dive master, Bob Hicks, were out on a training dive, part of a series that would have certified Myers as a scientific diver, said Tim Dillon, a SeaLife Center spokesman.
That’s not quite the way it works. It sounds more like Myers was making a dive to gain depth progression. This is not training, but rather dives made with a more experienced buddy.
Myers was certified as an open-water diver in 1982 and was certified an advanced diver in 1984, Dillon said. Becoming a scientific diver involves the same skills, with the added requirements of knowing how to collect samples while diving in certain conditions, among other things.
Becoming a scientific diver should have nothing to do with open-water diver, advanced diver, or any other recreational credential. Nor, for that matter, should it have anything to do with sample collection. It will be important to find out just what Myers actual training background was.

The accident description is rather strange, again we need to have more information.
The SeaLifeCenter has 25 regular divers who conduct about 100 open-water dives each year, Dillon said. Jewett, who works closely with the center, said he has known Hicks for years and called him a highly competent diver.
I assume that what they mean is that there are 25 divers, each of whom makes about 100 dives each year. A dive has to make at least 12 dives to stay on the rolls.
Myers was finishing up a master's degree from the University of Alaska Fairbanks' School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, Dillon said, and he was working at the SeaLifeCenter as a marine mammal scientist. He had been employed there since 2001, Dillon said.
The UAF website has Myers listed as a PhD candidate.

My wife is friends with the wife of the deceased. He was an accomplished diver, and a good guy. The whole accident makes very little sense to me. It really does sound like the news has got something wrong. They said that he ran completely out of air and had to surface, switched tanks with the divemaster, and somehow managed to sink despite having air. Since the divemaster had the empty tank, he could not go after him. Something seems really fishy to me. Was his BCD uninflatable somehow? Were the both of them really unable to remove his weight belt? Was neither of them able to or of sound mind enough to cut the belt loose when it was recognized as a potential hazard? The entire scenario makes no sense to me. How does an advanced diver with over 20 years experience breathe a tank dry? How does he and a divemaster fail to remove a weight belt? If any of you get the REAL skinny on what happened, please post it!

The only true thing here must be don't believe media accounts.

I fail to see how a DM could give a panicky assist his tank and BCD.

Y'all sound shocked that the media cant even get close to the truth of a story.....
Aways sad when we lose one.

Could it be that there was no "weight belt"? Is it possible that the diver was wearing one of those weight integrated BCDs? That might explain the inability to ditch the weights. Switching tanks, though, makes no sense, unless the entire tank/BCD unit is traded off between two divers. There are probably other factors involved here. Were they wearing dry suits, perhaps? Another tragedy, whatever the actual circumstances.

Im certan they were wearing dry suits. im also certan that the truth of this tragic accident is so far from what was reported that if ven both stories you woould have to conclude that it was two different events. Thts the liberal media for you. Screw the facts, just grab the headline!

I heard a rumor that the deceased diver had panicked or something and had grabbed the other diver's weight belt while thrashing around, causing that weight belt to come off, then the diver sank and the surviving diver couldn't go after him because he didn't have any weights. This is rumor, I don't know for sure.

I have know Matt Myers for all of his 44 years. I grew up with him in Colorado, have been diving with him several times and visited him in Alaska as often as possible. I can tell you this, he was by no means prone to panic. We are talking about a guy who has dealt with life and death situations on a number of occasions (some that I witnessed first hand). He has disarmed individuals with weapons, administered life saving CPR on at least three occassions (once in Seward Harbor as the man's own two friends had to be shoved out of the way since they were frozen in fear) and he sailed a 30 foot boat with a disabled engine through pitch blackness and a storm with a fury that is seldom seen in Southeast Alaska delivering 4 souls (including me) to the aid of Coast Guard personnel. I understand that the prospect of drowning can lead anyone to panic (even an experienced DM). However, knowing Matt as I do and knowing the screwy reports in this case, I'm not buying the panic theory. What's more, having been diving with Matt, I knew him to be a very careful and prepared diver. Safety was always first. What's more is Matt was very judicious with his air supply (both in consumption and tracking).

I appreciate any info that comes to light on this and I will share whatever I hear as well. Reportedly, OSHA is leading the investigation as this was a work related death and DAN has been alerted as well for any insight they can provide. Any other suggestions? Contacts with a highly placed Coast Guard aquaintance indicates that their role in the investigation is limited for the moment.

Pat-Colorado Springs

Passing this email along to people who may be interested...

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 00:09:45 -0800
Subject: "Dive-a-thon"
To: sorris@hotmail. com

Hello friends and divers!

I apologize for those of you who will get this twice, but luckily my dive skills exceed my computer skills! Anyways, We would like to invite you to join us for a fund raiser for the family of matthew myers. Mr. Meyers lost his life September 25th in a diving accident while diving in Seward with the sea life center. Please read the attached announcement and come to the shop to sign up to raise money for his surviving wife and kids.

24 hour Dive-a-thon!

What:

Dive Alaska in cooperation with local dive clubs, divers, and local dive shops will conduct an open water scuba dive which will attempt to log 24 “diver hours” in Whittier Alaska. This dive will be a fund-raising attempt to benefit the family of Matthew Myers, a diver who lost his life in a diving accident September 25th. Dive Alaska will donate free air fills to all divers who participate in the dive.

Where:

The dive will be conducted at “Smitty’s cove” in Whittier Alaska. To find Smitty’s cove, come through the Whittier tunnel and stay on the road which runs along the water toward town. After crossing the bridge over a small creek, turn right and cross the rail road tracks. This road will take you to the stop sign at the Anchor Inn where you should turn left. Stay on the main road until you end up at the parking lot which is adjacent to Smitty’s cove.

When:

The dive will begin at 9:00 am Saturday October 20th, and continue until 4:00 pm. During that time, we will try to “log” 24 hours underwater by rotating teams in and out of the water. Each diver will obtain “sponsors” who will contribute financially for each hour of logged dive time.

Who:

This event is open to all certified scuba divers who are qualified to dive in Alaskan waters. Dry suit experience is required, and divers must provide proof of certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom