Sea Life Center Scientific Diver dies in training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My idea was to fill any pockets on your bcd with rocks, which may or may not also work. Other than that, doff the drysuit altogether and try to perform a rescue uninsulated, which might have turned one victim into two. Either way, it would seem pretty difficult to do, particularly if you weren't sure of exactly where the victim was. Its pretty easy to lose exact bearings when staring at the surface of the water from a horizontal perspective.

It could have been possible albeit very difficult, or it could have been impossible. We don't know. I'm sure the guy wasn't sitting on the beach relaxing in the sun the whole time. I'm quite sure he would have exhausted any options he felt were available to him. Assigning blame is a rather rash thing to do at this point, not knowing what his side of the story is.

I agree we are just speculating here and that is all we can do unless and until a complete (and unadulterated) investigation takes place. I suspect some evidence of hypoxia or hypercapnia would be revealed by a post-mortem but I have not seen those results. Yet, even this evidence would not reveal the ultimate cause of those conditions (equipment, breathing, etc.). Every effect has a cause (or causes). The point is to get to the primary cause(s) so that others can enact solutions to prevent recurrence of such things in the future.

Obviously the discovery of those solutions will not help Matt and will probably only help marginally with closure for his family and friends. However, what is learned may ultimately save others especially when shared in important forums such as this one.

To that end, I think it is also very important for Mr. Hicks to eventually come forward and give a full and public accounting of what happened and also what, in retrospect, he would have done differently if he could do it all over again. I think he, as a person who was directly involved, is uniquely positioned to provide some continuous improvement in safety knowledge and emergency action to the diving community. If for nothing else than to be a teaching tool for others, I think it is critical he reveal these thoughts. Good can come out of any tragedy. This would be a good thing.

I think this bulletin board or some other part of this forum would be a perfect venue and it would be my recommendation that an invitation be extended to him for it.

Well, y'all seem pretty intelligent folks - and that's why it seems difficult for you to make sense of all the small titbits of information that were made public. I did a bit more digging and saw a copy of the final results of the investigation by a Dive Control Board. Apparently the Sealife Center does not want to make it available publically but have stated that they will show it to anyone that asks for it. I urge y'all to get a copy. There are many mistakes to learn from. It's no wonder the then DSO bailed. Hopefully he'll be better at his knew job, but from what I've heard, that's not been going so good either.

I'm going to have to call them tomorrow and request a copy. Kinda interesting though, new member, joined today and that's your only post. I'd guess that there's more here than is being revealed.

Ditto, why join if you've never dove to make that your first post.

Well, y'all seem pretty intelligent folks - and that's why it seems difficult for you to make sense of all the small titbits of information that were made public. I did a bit more digging and saw a copy of the final results of the investigation by a Dive Control Board. Apparently the Sealife Center does not want to make it available publically but have stated that they will show it to anyone that asks for it. I urge y'all to get a copy. There are many mistakes to learn from. It's no wonder the then DSO bailed. Hopefully he'll be better at his knew job, but from what I've heard, that's not been going so good either.
We'all (to use your vernacular) seem like intelligent people huh? "thats why it seems difficult for us to make sense of all the small tidbits made public"? Of what public record are you speaking? Last I heard, there was a lawsuit filed and the folks involved became tight-lipped. Please share your vast insight with us oh great one! I would love to hear your conclusions. Oh yeah, what is the new job?

If you "saw a copy" of the final conclusion, it would be awfully nice if you filled us in on the gaps between the "small tidbits." What was the eventual conclusion you saw in the report?

Guys, He's obviously trolling. Hasn't been back on scubaboard since he posted his single post. Somebody with a axe to grind.

DM

Okay guys. I feel now is the proper time to say what I have wanted to say for awhile. I no longer work for the SeaLife Center (even though I have warm and happy feelings toward them, I just got a better gig that I couldn't pass up) and the legal case is over. I just want to defend myself here. There is a nasty, straight out LIE about the person at the Center who first received the call for help stopping to pray for 5 minutes before taking action. I am the person who first took the call for help. I am a U.S. Army veteran (Parachute Infantryman) for my active tour, and Military Policeman in the Guard. I knew what needed to be done and praying was not on the list. The moment I took the call for help I got Coast Guard Cutter Mustang personel on the phone and gave them the EXACT location of the incident and the details that were provided to me. At the same time while this was occuring I had another person notify the Chief of Security (Vietnam Veteran, Retired Alaska State Trooper with indepth knowledge of search and rescue ops)(who was notified while I was still in contact with the Coasties, from first call to him knowing happened within 1 to 2 minutes of the first call coming in) who took over from there. I can promise you he wasted NO time in starting to deploy rescue personel. I can't tell you about what happened at the scene, as I was not there. I just wanted to address the idiotic notion that we wasted time praying while our friend was in trouble. This has chapped my ass for several years and I was reminded of this thread just a few days ago, and decided to respond. I can not describe to you the agony this incident caused all who worked there. Matt was a great guy, a husband, a father. He is dearly missed by all. I don't think we will ever know what went down out there, why and how it unfolded as it did.

So what the hell happened? As best you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom