SeaLife DC500 5.0 MegaPixel Camera Pro Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks. now what is the difference between a digital flash and my external flash? is it the same flash but comes with a flash link as opposed to my external and buy the link later?
I will look into buying a flash link. any places online?
Les

Les:
thanks. now what is the difference between a digital flash and my external flash? is it the same flash but comes with a flash link as opposed to my external and buy the link later?
I will look into buying a flash link. any places online?
Les

several places online sell the flash link. just about any place that is a dealer
has got it.

There is a difference in the regular flash/strobe and the digital one.
The regular one 'fires' just one way. It is also only designed to work
with the regular Reefmaster cameras and housings.

The digital flash (which does come with the fiber optic cable) is designed
to work with ANY digital camera, including ones that do pre-flashes.
You can program this flash to work with any camera set and then
re-program it again if you switch cameras. You can also set or vary
the flash power if you don't want as bright of an exposure.

see
http://www.divesports.com/mall/sealife_SL960D.asp

Hi!

I ended up buying my hubby the SeaLife DC500 5.0 MegaPixel Camera Pro Kit. I know it isn't quite Christmas yet but I gave it to him. He really, really likes it. He loves the big viewing screen. Of course he hasn't used it underwater yet. Will post in late Feb. after we use it on our cruise/diving trip.

Thanks again for all your input!

My Wife (eerrrr, Santa) got me a DC500 'kit' as well. It seems be a good camera. My wife says she called around for some time to research UW Dig cameras. This one seems to be on the tip of everyones tounges.

I havent heard too much about SeaLife, but then again, I am pretty new to UW photography. Cant wait to try it out!

I read something else the other day about the battery system the DC-500 uses.
I think it was from rec.scuba.equipment.

It uses a Minolta NP-800 or np-900 battery. If you've got a DC-500 you
should be able to look at the pic and compare it to your battery to
verify which one exactly it is.

Anyway, you can order them and seperate chargers from various vendors
for much cheaper than buying from the SeaLife dealers.

just a FYI.

From people who have used the DC500.....how long does the battery last on a single charge with the LCD screen on?????

Does anyone have any experence using this camera in low vis? I dive off the Jersey coast, and was looking in to getting one with dual digital strobes.

Used mine for the first time while in Maui over Christmas. After shooting about 20-35 minutes of video, 40-60 flash pics and 20 or so natural light shots, the battery gave out. It is the weak part of the camera for sure.

Other than battery life, I thought the camera was great. Back scatter is a real problem without an external strobe (no surprise). Pictures were pretty good, but I was really impressed by the video. 800x600 is pretty decent resolution for a camera. The camera and housing are about the size of a disposable camera, but the housing is rated to 200'. Without external strobe, the camera would fit into a BC pocket. Perfect for what I was looking for. I think that better quality would come at a far greater expense and much more bulk. This is a great camera when your main focus is diving and not taking first rate photos.

JRRKAR:
From people who have used the DC500.....how long does the battery last on a single charge with the LCD screen on?????

I bought the extra battery and charger from Scuba Toys. You can use the adapter that charges the battery when it is still in the camera. So I have the extra charger and battery charging when I am diving with the camera. The extra charger is really small so it is not a big issue having an extra charger.
The charger shoe for the camera is real compact also.
Just wanted to post this in case some people were concerned about having to haul extra stuff.
DSAO

I have one and love it. We sell many other cameras and strobes and this is the one that is most consistent and delivers the goods. For my money I'd go with the DC 500 Pro Set.

Happy Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom