SeaLife DC500 5.0 MegaPixel Camera Pro Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
Yeah, I know it says "Fits all SeaLife® cameras." But the customer service people told me they don't work with the DC500. Either way, I'd like to see more pics posted by members here. There a lot of negative feedback by now so I don't feel like investing in this piece anytime soon.

I hadn't ordered it yet...you think they would change their Website, if it didn't fit wouldn't you??

*Floater*:
Nice pics. Now you just need to edit them and upload them onto your photo gallery at scubaboard. I touched up one for you:

Geez...so why didn't you finish the batch :)

Paul in VT

Thanks, that looks much better. I didn't want to post anything that had been enhanced or even cleaned up since the thread is about the camera and the pics give a pretty good indication of worst case results.

I'll be looking into techniques for PS CS and will upload when I get a better handle on editing. Figure some time in early 07' :wink:

You can buy a spare battery charger now. You do, however, need to purchase the ac adapter separately. The first one that I ordered from Leisurepro.com was recalled as it was not the right size. I sent it back into Reefmaster and they replaced it. My biggest beef with the camera was 1) The strobe not firing consistently resulting in 2) grainy pictures with 3) lots of "red noise". Anyone else have these problems? I was assured by Sealife that upgrading the firmware will help with the strobe. We shall see. By the way, how long is your recycle time on the digital strobe??? Mine is running about 13-14 seconds on fully charged, high powered battteries. Rather frustrating as you are looking at an eagle ray, waiting to see the little green light.

We're quite happy with ours. Love both land and water use. One helpful thing that I've found with the strobe: there is a red indicator light on the reverse side of the strobeInside the housing). If the light is on, the strobe always works(regardless of light or vis). If you don't wait for the light to come on(recharging), the light will not work. As long as I have waited on the red light, it has NEVER failed to go off. Hope this helps.

Love the 510 had to do the PIE5 upgrade. The folks in customer service are wonderful. Took the time to explain everythig. Previous UW camera was DC310.

Had bad conditions (viz < 25' and surge) on my December Key Largo trip but still got exceptable pics. Next dive trip will be TCI can't wait to see how the DC510 performs in good viz. Will upload as soon as I return in March.

I sent my dc500 to Sealife and once again they were wonderful. They have run into a couple of glitches with the new model, but are doing everything possible to correct them. They updated the processor on my digital strobe to decrease the recycle time. The weird halo that I had on several of my pictures was determined to be a returned glare from using the 3X lens. THE 3x, 8X AND 16X LENSES FIT BUT ARE NOT COMPATABLE WITH THE DC500. Bjorn, a VP and part owner of the company, said that one of their testers got some good results using the 16X lens but says that it really is not meant to be used with the camera. The lens attachments were designed to work with the fixed focus models like the DC310 instead of new dc500 with a zoom. They are apparently getting ready to come out with some sort of an attachment to help the sync cord stay securely over the sensor on the digital strobe. Don't give up on this camera if you are having some trouble getting your strobe to fire. Contact your local dealer or SeaLife directly for help. I really don't think too many companies would go this far to help a customer out. That time of customer service is why I have loved my DC310 and I can't wait to test out my DC500 in the Flower Gardens later this month.

Joe Iocona the export manager of Sealife has just emailed folk with the following page of issues with the DC500, rather hidden on their site :

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/download/dc500/DC500_Troubleshooting_Feb06.pdf

He also added:

Although in theory it's possible to use the DC500 with the macro lens, in practice it isn't. Without the macro lens you can get into 2" with the camera anyway. You can't zoom though the lenses so you can't get any closer without the additional macro lens. However, the depth of field is so small on the macro lens with the Dc500 attached, that unless you were (and I quote) "a professional diver" you wouldn't be able to
stay still long enough for the picture to work, because the field of focus is so narrow.

Also see:

Firmware info:

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/service/firmware.html

CJB.

Two posts in two months, both slamming the DC500. I'm not sure what this means, but welcome to the board.

dherbman:
Two posts in two months, both slamming the DC500. I'm not sure what this means, but welcome to the board.

Maybe he's an employee of a competing line:D

Paul in VT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom