Searching for a dive master internship.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trust me I called nearly every one.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Mike,
What is the general consensus on people who say "trust me"???

Tom could do 100 dives in less then 2months, for well less then $30/dive as a part of a cleverly negotiated off peak season DM package, making him of greater experience and certification then your fine self!

Please,tell me what is the comparative difference in those dives done here in Brisbane to the ones done in Phuket- apart from the fact that they cost 140% more!

Then out of curiosity tell us who you dive with in Brisbane and how much it costs???

Regards,
Damon

Damon,
If you read my post properly you will see I did not mention anything about improper training. I merely stated that dive shops here would rather employ DM's and Instructors who are locally trained.
Yes, diving in Australia is bloody expensive, I'm not denying that. And there may be zero difference in the standards of training here as opposed to overseas.
If you look at Nautilus's website, you will notice there is currently so vacant positions for employment, yet under there DM course outline it states on completion of the course they would be happy to take on the DM.
FYI Diving off the seaway is free :wink:

I was not going to comment on this but after reading such a lot of negative pasts I though I would stick my 10cents worth in as well :D

Having been a professional diver since 1989 (BSAC, CMAS and PADI as well as commercial) and a PADI Course Director since 1998 I feel pretty well qualified to offer some guidance.

Fist off good on you Tom for giving it a go. Rather than just sitting back and listening to the negatives of "not earning much" etc, there are a lot worse ways of earning a living. It pays more than a lot of the so called menial jobs like check out chicks at supermarkets (no offense meant here), but who cares?

Great lifestyle and meet an incredible array of people. As a young single bloke it also offers a lot of side benefits :D Also a very satisfying job where you will pick up a lot of skills (supervision, management, retail, people skills etc. A lot of jobs dontt ofer that at all.

The best advise given on this thread is to get lots of dives up. You will need 60 to finish the DM certification and 100 for the OWSI IE.

Go get your rescue diver up and then work on doing a lot of fun dives. The local dive shops is the best way to do this and will have a great social scene.

This way you may be able to get some experience up acting as a guide with less experienced divers, assist in some training etc. Make relation ship with the local dive stores.

I dont receomment DM internships usually as you get what you pay for and many just want slave labour and make you work it off by filling tanks etc. So if you do get offered an internship make sure you get enough help and instructor time. Work with real classes not the simulated scenario options.

I used to run ICDs in Thailand twice a year, and the standard there was far inferior to here. I do not recommend the zero to hero route and its wont do you any favours. Experience counts and you as I said above - you will get what you pay for

Damon,
If you read my post properly you will see I did not mention anything about improper training. I merely stated that dive shops here would rather employ DM's and Instructors who are locally trained.
Yes, diving in Australia is bloody expensive, I'm not denying that. And there may be zero difference in the standards of training here as opposed to overseas.
If you look at Nautilus's website, you will notice there is currently so vacant positions for employment, yet under there DM course outline it states on completion of the course they would be happy to take on the DM.
FYI Diving off the seaway is free :wink:

SEAWAY IS FREE?? No it's not!!! Lets start with it's very limited time window for diving(one to two hours/rising tide). Then there's fuel down from Brisbane, airfills and you have to have a full kit with at lest one tank! Taking it up to around the price of the phuket dive/dive. You do the math! add the gear, transport costs and fills, over a 2 month period to do the 100 dives.......no-brainer, phuket still wins you get a guided dives from real pros that have a big market.

What you really mean is the LDS lure business thru the "possibility" of "future" employment. Lets not forget they charge over $1500 for the DM course and its $150 for a 2dive day with them. The PADI pyramid!

Ok, lets look at the idea of value for one minute.....
If I was to bother doing DM here in australia, in this area/region, I would choose Sundive- cheaper, better site(lots more large fish/sharks and mantas) and less time on a boat time for a dive. You could be eating at Kinoko for lunch in between dives!!!!
Sundive $55/dive and you can do one only if you want, plenty of work there, nightlife and Swedish backpacker chicks!

Aquapro- I would except "snarky" but negative is too harsh a word. My opinion about being a dive instructor is very subjective and unbiased. What you wrote here is my very argument against LDS in Brisbane. I don't like to see youngens get pumped up for a job which is very limited in money and opportunities- that is THE FACT!

LOOK read this TOM!!!
"I dont receomment DM internships usually as you get what you pay for and many just want slave labour and make you work it off by filling tanks etc. So if you do get offered an internship make sure you get enough help and instructor time. Work with real classes not the simulated scenario options."

Totalise ALL the facts to get the real picture, then if your still green as go, knock yourself out champ!

Good luck Tom,
Damon

Lots of one-eyed opinions try to discredit others very valid ones- product of too many lawyer sitcoms from the 1980's to this day!

I'll stay out of the debate but suggest thinking of somewhere such as the Ningaloo Reef out of Exmouth or Coral Bay during season. Season is now thru September. Several dive shops offer internships and three of the four shops I know offering it will get you out diving, working with students, have multiple instructors on staff, will get you out with whale sharks/mantas/humpbacks and all other manner of marine creatures and generally offer an interesting and diverse set of experiences that should stand you in good steed as you progress. Mostly this is real life hands on stuff, not hours and hours and hours of classroom and simulations (tho there is some of that, too).

The hours are long, some of the other divers you'll see will need lots of help & patience and some days you'll feel like a servant doing all the other boring stuff that has to be done to actually get people out diving and on the ocean.

Good luck, get out there and chase down your dream!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom