Seasickness on a live-aboard in Cairns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sschwar2

New
Reaction score
Greetings,

Do people have any recommendations as far as which live-aboards to recommend that are the most stable boats? I've read that the Kangaroo Explorer and the Spirit of Freedom are both stable -- any other opinions?

Also, what about food choices on the live-aboards? :wink:

Looking to dive 12/24-12/26 on the GBR!

Steve

on the spoilsport - we did hit some rough patches - now i took triptone everyday (in the AM) and did OK - hopefully you'll have the same luck as I did!

How is that drug vs dramamine?

Triptone is wonderful! No drowsiness. Be cautious of the warnings on the package... but I had not problems.

Lorie :)

We were on Diversity out of Port Douglas in July, and we heard stories of boats with Puke Fests, the Coral Sea can get quite rough, we had calm seas. We were told by the captain that it only gets like that a handful of days a year and usually it's not in their winter. In fact it got to be like a mirror for a couple of days. :)

Hope your trip is as good.
Caymaniac

I was on the Spirit of Freedom on a fairly rough seas week, and I usually get sea sick, but I was on dramamine and ginger the whole time and barely felt a thing... you really need to start taking it before you get on the boat though, even the night before 'go-time' will help. the boat did rock a bit though. If you want calm seas, I suggest the catamaran double hull type boats, I hear they are much more stable.

Kwels is my choice for seasickness .. doesn't make you drowsy - (its what Australians use) - there is also the ginger option, but it never worked for me.

Generally you just have to be lucky - even the best boast will get you sea sick on a rough day.

For more info on all the live-aboards up there and around the place

check out this site for all diving in australia

www.underwater.com.au

It's THE Scuba diving portal for Australia. Comprehensive information on dive shops, liveaboards, charter and day boats, accommodation, gear and more - community meeting place for divers and marine enthusiasts.

See you underwater .....

Tim

We took a 3 day'er out of Cairns with Pro-Dive. I do sometimes get seasick on the first day if the seas are high (8 footers on the Spree out the Flower Gardens). But was fine on the Pro-Dive boat in 3-5 footers. A couple people did get seasick, but they seemed exceptionally susecptible.

If you don't have the money for Mike Ball, Pro-Dive was a kickass and reasonable way to see the GBR.

Pete

I watched an episode of MythBusters about remedies for seasickness. They had people sit on a chair that just spun around. The ginger was the only thing that worked. All of the other herbal remedies were rubbish. Be wary of the side effects of the medications. I don't get seasick so I can't really understand it, but being prepared would be good.

Depending on who you go with on their web pages they will have a faq section that will talk about sea sickness and what to take.

I think you have to take what is best for you in the sense of what has worked for you in the past however a non drowsy mediciation.
Honestly I do not get sea sick so im not completely sure what to suggest however I would check the dive site info out and ask your doctor as well.
Remember if you get a prescription keep your reciept & a doctors note saying you take this with your medication when travelling or get something down here which may end up cheaper for you.

Also what General has said above me, look out for side effects of medications.

Back
Top Bottom