Second pool session, thinking of quitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The group we traveled with were pretty serious about their diving! They didn't allow much time for anything else, it was up at 6am for breakfast and gear prep then a two tank boat dive, come back and clean gear, do logbooks and have lunch then go out for a shore dive, then back to clean gear and do logbooks again and I was exhausted each day. Lots of fun though!

The group we traveled with were pretty serious about their diving! They didn't allow much time for anything else, it was up at 6am for breakfast and gear prep then a two tank boat dive, come back and clean gear, do logbooks and have lunch then go out for a shore dive, then back to clean gear and do logbooks again and I was exhausted each day. Lots of fun though!

Sounds like a great vacation.

All I read was your first post from seven months ago, and your last post. Kind of nice how that worked out.......

Hi guys, thanks for everything! We just returned from the scuba trip to Grand Cayman and both my wife and I are now certified divers.

We went on 20 dives over the course of the week, actually my wife did 21 as she went on a night dive that I passed on.

No problems on any of the dives but I did get nervous on two of the dives where we went below 100 feet, and my air use went up and I ran out of time before everybody else.

Already looking forward to our next trip!

Yay, congratulations! I remember reading this thread back last year when it started and hoping it'd work out well. A happy ending, then... I'm very pleased for you that you've managed to overcome your initial problems to discover just how great diving is -- and very jealous that you got to check out in the Caymans!! One day, I'd love to go there...

I signed my wife and I up and we have been doing the study sessions together and having some fun with it. The first pool session went pretty well but was a little scarier than I thought it would be.

I figured it would get easier/less scary by the second pool but I was wrong :(

Let me tell you my specific issue. It all comes down to the skill where you have to take your mask off, put it back on and clear it.

I am middle aged. My whole life I have never been able to swim without nose plugs. Water in the nose, down the back of my throat, then getting sick. But put on nose plugs and no problem, I am a fish. I can swim for hours. Whether this is a mental issue, physiological, or faulty swim lessons at the YMCA, I don't know. But it has always been an issue for me.

I figured SCUBA would not be an issue because I get to wear my nice mask like when I snorkel (love to snorkel, never had a problem with it) and my nose is enclosed.

But haha, the joke was on me! I went out and dumped a couple thousand dollars for some basic gear and lessons and then on the first night the instructor is making us take off our masks! Whoops!

So I did as he asked, I was at the bottom of the pool and I took off my mask. But of course I immediately took my other hand and pinched off my nose so I didnt have water streaming down my throat. The instructor motions me to let go of my nose. I refuse. I then put my mask back on and cleared it. We went up top and he asked me what was up, I told him I had to hold my nose. He said we would work on that.

Last weekend I took the mask and snorkel to a local pool to do some practice but it was not to be. Even in 3 feet of water I just cant do it. I pretty much made up my mind right then and there and told my wife that I was going to have to quit the class because I cant/won't take my mask off without pinching off my nose. She sighed as the only reason she is in this class (she is doing great btw) was to humor me.

You guys all seem like pros and I think I am the only person who has this water issue. Whether it is a phobia or some kind of deviated septum/nasal issue, I really couldn't tell you. All I can say is I have had it forever and I guess I didn't realize it would be a deal breaker on the SCUBA. I feel like a fool.

First.. Don't Quit!

Second, if you can master removing, replacing and clearing your mask with a little nose pinching in between each step... that's fine too...

We'd like to see you be able to do it without pinching your nose... but the reality is that pinching your nose is not against the rules. Pinching your nose is a crutch for you... which you may eventually let go of once you can do it with a little pinch here and there.

If you can't get any satisfaction where you are... feel free to come and work with us... we'll be happy to help you...

Diving is supposed to be fun... but you must also be safe and master the skills. Remember that the skill here is "remove, replace and clear the mask." The standard does not say "remove, replace and clear the mask without pinching your nose."

Be persistent... there is a whole world of wonder awaiting you... so don't give up!

I signed my wife and I up and we have been doing the study sessions together and having some fun with it. The first pool session went pretty well but was a little scarier than I thought it would be.

I figured it would get easier/less scary by the second pool but I was wrong :(

Let me tell you my specific issue. It all comes down to the skill where you have to take your mask off, put it back on and clear it.

I am middle aged. My whole life I have never been able to swim without nose plugs. Water in the nose, down the back of my throat, then getting sick. But put on nose plugs and no problem, I am a fish. I can swim for hours. Whether this is a mental issue, physiological, or faulty swim lessons at the YMCA, I don't know. But it has always been an issue for me.

I figured SCUBA would not be an issue because I get to wear my nice mask like when I snorkel (love to snorkel, never had a problem with it) and my nose is enclosed.

But haha, the joke was on me! I went out and dumped a couple thousand dollars for some basic gear and lessons and then on the first night the instructor is making us take off our masks! Whoops!

So I did as he asked, I was at the bottom of the pool and I took off my mask. But of course I immediately took my other hand and pinched off my nose so I didnt have water streaming down my throat. The instructor motions me to let go of my nose. I refuse. I then put my mask back on and cleared it. We went up top and he asked me what was up, I told him I had to hold my nose. He said we would work on that.

Last weekend I took the mask and snorkel to a local pool to do some practice but it was not to be. Even in 3 feet of water I just cant do it. I pretty much made up my mind right then and there and told my wife that I was going to have to quit the class because I cant/won't take my mask off without pinching off my nose. She sighed as the only reason she is in this class (she is doing great btw) was to humor me.

You guys all seem like pros and I think I am the only person who has this water issue. Whether it is a phobia or some kind of deviated septum/nasal issue, I really couldn't tell you. All I can say is I have had it forever and I guess I didn't realize it would be a deal breaker on the SCUBA. I feel like a fool.

Go to this site, purchase this sinus rinse product, and use it to practice and get used to squeezing water up your nose. I know this sounds crazy, but you will get used to salty water going up your nose and down your throat, at your own pace. You will learn that you can not drown when water goes up your nose and into your sinus, and when it dribbles down your throat. Then check out the video link of a guy doing it to see how easy it is.

NeilMed Pharmaceuticals, Makers of Sinus Rinse, NasaFlo Netipot, Nasal Irrigation

YouTube - sinus rinse

I hope this help you. After using this product, I learned that water up the nose is totally harmless in reasonable amounts.

OOPS I just noticed this is a very old Thread, I see you worked out your mask/water up the nose issues. Congradulations.

This seems to be one of the most common problems.
I am sure you can overcome your tendency to breathe in your nose, but you will definitely want to have that mastered.
Don't give up!
-Good Luck

Nebrunner, you and I are about the same age. I just started this year too and had some pool issues as well. The problem with Pool diving is there is no diving fun between the silly diver tricks you have to learn. The truth is, in open water diving your mask will likely never come off. You will likely never take your BC off and put it back on, you will likely have to adjust but not remove your weight belt. The whole point of what you are doing now is to learn to always breath and never panic. Panic is your worst enemy. I finsihed OW course in a pool in March. I referred out to do my Cert dives in St Croix earlier this month. I also did my Advanced OW directly after my cert dives. During the cert and AOW dives, we were also "just diving". Yeah you have to do some tricks on your cert dives and the mask off and on is one of them. But after, I must tell you, I never had a flooded or removed mask in 20 dives. I did find myself clearing it a lot though because I was smiling and laughing at how cool everything around me was and how much fun I was having even though I am not that good yet. Just neutral enough to not destroy or touch anything. I would really urge you to press on. This could be the greatest fun you ever have with your whole family. I really cannot imagine a vacation for the rest of my life that does not include diving as a central focus.
Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom