Securing backup light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ferris213

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I'm wondering how you guys and girls avoid dropping your back up light? I understand it gets clipped off to the shoulder d ring, and switched on before uncliping to make it easier to see if dropped, but what about when you are using it?

I am an OW diver and only use my light to look under rocks etc, but without some sort of lanyard I would have thought there is a fairly high risk of dropping it, no? Problematic if I were diving a wall and the bottom was too deep.

Is there a plan other than "Don't drop it" to avoid dropping it?? Just wondering...

Thanks,
Pat

If I'm going to be holding it awhile, I'll clip it off to the bungee of my wrist-mounted compass (left hand). Gets a bit annoying when you need to pass it to the right hand, but it's manageable. I'm cheap (don't particularly want to lose it) and so rarely use it, that it works for me.

I do the same as Rainer. I clip the bolt-snap to the lowest bungee on my computer (use a DSS mount). Other than that, it's simply a case of not dropping it. :wink:

Thanks, that hadn't occurred to me. Though it does lead to another question... Why is the standard to have compass on left wrist, timer/ computer on right wrist? Any particular reason?

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Which hand do you use to operate your BC (inflator and dump); which arm do you raise when dumping your dry suit? Wouldn't it be nice to see your depth when doing so? That should answer the computer question. The compass is nicer on the left if you scooter. It's also nice to split up the information on each arm, and the primary computer/gauge is best on the right. Primary light is also in the left hand, which means it'll be easier to illuminate the right wrist. Put the item you need to reference most often on the right. Your depth/time often needs illumination on dark/night dives. Most compasses have paint on them that will glow for 5+ minutes, so it's not as crucial to light it often.

I second (or third, or whatever) the clipping to the compass/computer's bungee (depending what hand).

Using DSS/Tobin's boot mount, one of the bungees is just at the right place for the backup light's clip.

I place the compass on my right, computer (or depth/timer) on left, facing inwards so when lifting inflator etc- I can keep a visual on the display.

If I need to pass the light (either primary or backup) I just unclip from one bungee and clip it again on the opposite hand bungee. I don't find it more annoying than loosing a light, although I always think it is good idea to occasionally give Neptune a gift :wink:

I hang my light from my ring shoulder D-ring with a trigger snap. I tie about a 1 ft piece of bungee to the trigger snap base and the same D-ring. If I drop it the bungee will stop it from disappearing. My instructor recommended this and it works very well.

I hang my light from my ring shoulder D-ring with a trigger snap. I tie about a 1 ft piece of bungee to the trigger snap base and the same D-ring. If I drop it the bungee will stop it from disappearing. My instructor recommended this and it works very well.

You are aware that this is the Hogarthian Diving sub-forum? ... in the technical diving area? .... :wink:

Backup light to me means a backup light. I'm not using a backup light to look under ledges or things, that is what a primary light is for. And primary light to me means a light I can use without needing to hold onto it. My personal preference is a goodman handle.

Some people use a "backup light" in a light sock as a primary light.

Other than that...yeah, "don't drop it" is a pretty effective way to not drop it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom