Seeking Recommendations for Experience Gaining Dive Locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clpkab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just completed PADI scuba diver certification. My two open water dives were at Sunset Beach in Cozumel (shore entry, with current, surf and surge, max depth 27 ft). I will most likely continue my education and training to OW certification but want to do some additional dives to gain experience and confidence with my skills.

I realize that some Caribbean islands would have dive sites well beyond my capabilities and limitations (for example a 80ft+ wall dive in the Caymans). I would appreciate any advice for favorite dive sites that would be 40ft or less.

Having read some of the other threads on the board, I will likely plan to hire a DM to be a buddy/guide. So any adivce for dive shops and DMs would also be appreciated.

I see you are located in the US. If you want to stay with the warmer waters that you have some experience in I would recommend Key Largo, Florida. Generally the reef dives there are shallow (if you want to get much below 25 feet you better bring a shovel so you can dig to get there) and pretty mild as far as current & surge. You will be boat diving which also makes entry and exit a breeze. There are LOTS of diver operations in Key Largo that will readily provide you with a Divemaster as a buddy. I recommend Ocean Divers, but there are many others that do an equally nice job. Ocean Divers runs a schedule with their boats you can practically set your watch to, and unless the seas are unsafe, they will take you diving. Some places need a minimum number of divers to justify taking their boats out which is understandable, Ocean Divers pretty much goes out even if it is only a single diver that shows up.

You have a great idea in continuing your education. Welcome to the amazing world of diving and have fun...

SS

Dive boats frequently moor/anchor in fairly shallow water where you could complete your dive at depths of less than 40 feet, even if there is a deep wall dive nearby. In places like Bonaire, for example, the top of the reef is usually between 20-40 feet deep, while the "wall" drops to 70-100 feet. A typical dive would have the group descend to the top of the reef, head over the side of the reef and traverse the wall at about 60 feet (usually the max depth recommended by the DM), and then return on top of the reef as sort of a prolonged safety stop. I've seen divers spend their entire dive on the top of the reef, where most of the marine life and activity is usually found. I've been on very few Caribbean dives that don't fit this profile.

It may help to tell what part of the US you are looking for info on. Here is a web address to a site with info on dive spots in the us. Click on the region you are interested in, then click on the dive flags for site info.
I hope this helps...
Diving USA

Florida ... from Jupiter down through Key Largo ... provides a ton of safe inexpensive diving options. You'd enjoy some awesome dives in warmer water on quality charters. If you work with SB members you'll get the advantage of local help and invites to make the trip a total blast!!

I think the best way for you to get more experience is just to do the open water course, first. PADI Scuba Diver covers the first 3 confined water sessions, the first 3 knowledge development modules, and the first two open water dives of the PADI Open Water Diver course.

By going straight to the OW course, you'll learn more skills, and your next two dives will be with an instructor. You should just need 2 more classroom modules, 2 more confined water modules, and 2 more OW dives in order to upgrade from the Scuba Diver cert to the OW cert. (Plus the final exam, which is very similar to the quizzes you've taken previously for the knowledge modules.)

After that, you'll likely be a better, more knowledgeable, & more confident diver than you are now, and you'll have more options open to you when you dive. Even with the OW cert, you can still hire a DM to guide you on your next several dives while you are gaining more experience and confidence. Taking the OW class just gives you more knowledge, practice and skills to use on those dives.

I would recommend going to ow straight away as well, you get some more knowledge, plus 2 more dives with an instructor, plus freedom to dive without a dm if you choose. Also if you don't live in a warm location you can get some experience in local conditions so you don't always have to travel to dive.

Have fun.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom