Semi-dry suit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once again I appreciate all the help. I wasn't sure how much to adjust weightsince I've never dove fresh water at all, let alone gone from a 3mm to a 7mm suit. I hope to do LOTS more diving now that I am equipped to do it at home.

My sister lives in St Croix and I come up with as many excuses as I can to visit her but lately it has been too long between visits and dives. We have a deal worked out. She is a landscape architect with equipment that breaks down, I teach Auto/Diesel mechanics at the University of Northwestern Ohio so I can fix her equipment, and she does landscaping work for Michelle Pugh who owns Dive Experience in St Croix and takes diving credit instead of money.

When her equipment breaks she sends me a plane ticket to come for a "visit", I fix her broken stuff, and then she "makes" me dive to use up some of the credit with Michelle that she doesn't have time to use herself. In June I got in 16 dives in 10 days. I also purchased all of the equipment that I didn't already have except a warm suit. I guess I'm out of reasons not to do more diving now.

Just an update on some GREAT service from Aquaflite. I ordered a custome suit on Monday and it was shipped on Tuesday!!!!! Maybe I can dive this next weekend.

mrjake:
Just an update on some GREAT service from Aquaflite. I ordered a custome suit on Monday and it was shipped on Tuesday!!!!! Maybe I can dive this next weekend.

A custom in one day??? I think I would look that one over real careful. Really hope that it is a cutom suit but I would just about make a bet that it isn't.

I'll know right away. I'm not a standard size at all. My wife sold computerized sewing machines and industria machines for a number of years and sews extensively. She has computerized pattern programs that spit out a pattern after inputting the measurements and after taking the 27 measurements that they requested she told me that they were very much the same as those required for her program. Once you have a pattern all that's needed is to cut it and sew it.

i too have the mares isotherm, i love it. not bad in cold water, no squeeze unless your one of my fellow wierdos whos pees in your suit then you might have to make an "adjustment", then makes sure while on your safety hang pull the neck seal to let some fresh water in it. btw about how much did your custom 7mil run? the gfriend needs one and we are doing some price comparisons.

idratherbediving:
i too have the mares isotherm, i love it. not bad in cold water, no squeeze unless your one of my fellow wierdos whos pees in your suit then you might have to make an "adjustment", then makes sure while on your safety hang pull the neck seal to let some fresh water in it. btw about how much did your custom 7mil run? the gfriend needs one and we are doing some price comparisons.

With all the bells and whistles available it was around $4oo delivered. If the suit is half as nice as the people were to deal with I'll be happy.

I have a Mares Isotherms and 12 pounds (10 Kg).The weight isnt a wetsuit or semy-dry suit problem is a combination of factors .....body, bones etc, and archimede's law.
but I need to "purge/burp" the air from inside, I dove in the Great lakes and not problem at all .......
BTW I did a holes in the hood (exactly 3) ...
two close to the ears,........... unable to ear my computer beeping ,and the people talking before and after the dive.
The third in the top/center , purge the air inside your hood when you compensate the mask.

My custom suit came today and I am pleased to say it fits great!!! I would highly recommend their Oceanliner lining. Won't need any plastic bags, sprays, or baby powder to get this one on. The suit is very supple and smooth inside and the lining stretches with the rest of the suit instead of being so rigid like some of the suits that I tried. The zipper across the chest of the jacket looked like it might be hard to get the hood over my head but it also is no problem. Shouldn't have any leaks around the hood opening where many other suit's zippers end up.

mrjake:
My custom suit came today and I am pleased to say it fits great!!! I would highly recommend their Oceanliner lining. Won't need any plastic bags, sprays, or baby powder to get this one on. The suit is very supple and smooth inside and the lining stretches with the rest of the suit instead of being so rigid like some of the suits that I tried. The zipper across the chest of the jacket looked like it might be hard to get the hood over my head but it also is no problem. Shouldn't have any leaks around the hood opening where many other suit's zippers end up.

So have you dove this setup yet??? Any comments...........

Back
Top Bottom