Semi-Dry Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, that's the suit I have. I love that suit !!!

the K

I've got a Tilos 7/5mm Semi dry on it's way. I bought it from SCUBA.COM for $135 with shipping. I was able to get that price through their great price matching policy. I'm looking forward to getting that baby in the water for a test next weekend.

I have a Scubapro 5mm Semi-dry that I bought off eBay last summer (used once... $75). I used it last fall in combination with a 3mm hooded vest. It kept me nice and toasty warm down to 55F in the depths of Bull Shoals Lake, AR. The tight fitting seals can make it rather difficult to put on, but I did see a big difference in how much water gets in compared to my 3mm wet suit. I think my swim trunks were nearly dry after I got out and most of that moisture was probably from ..... oh, never mind.:eyebrow:

Now if I could find a way to keep my lips warm....

Sean

bvmjethead:
I recently purchased a Mares 6.5 mm Isotherm Semi-Dri. The zipper is supposed to be the same in nature as what is in a dri suit and that in combination with the seals at neck, ankle and wrist is supposed to give the suit very good leak protection.

I was informed that it's sealing properties are only as good as the person donning the suit correctly and how it fits that individual.

I was also informed that with a bit of duct tape this suit could be made very dry.

I was all but guaranteed that the zipper is truly dry. The shop owner said if I experienced water coming in through the zipper he would buy the suit back @ full price.

YMMV

I'll let you know what I think of it after I get a chance to dive with it on in the cold water of Lake Rawlings later this month.
Over the years I bought two of these semi dry suits, though not the Isotherm and not with the plastic dry zips but a standard metal drysuit zip. It was the warmest I felt other then when I used a dry suit.
The advantage of a semidry over the wet suit is that the tapered cuffs and the ankels
as well the attached hood which is also narrower round the face, drastically reduces the flashing you would get with a wet suit.
However the type mentioned by the person I quoted would be a good investment they have been around for at least 9 years and are still a good seller.

FW,
That suit will do you just fine at Vortex, throw on a thin hood and some thin golves and you'll be walkin the walk and talkin the talk . . .

Oh, by the way, FW, make sure you take something to wear over your w/s during your S/I. The wind gets to be a bit brisk coming across the spring basin this time of year.

In fact, if you can borrow a dome tent from a friend, that would be even better.

The Yellow Angel Fish and I were down there a couple of weeks ago to do an OW cert. We took our dome tent because we knew it might be a bit chilly. That was a GOOD move!

Connie, Erica and the crew have no problems with letting you set up a tent over by the picnic tables in order to stay out of the wind. Make life much more pleasant this time of year.

the K

Good suggestions, K! Thanks. I think we are planning on taking a rather large dome tent with a Coleman heater. I have a dive parka and a knit cap, to warm up and keep the wind off. The water temperature has never bothered me, except for the first wetsuit burp, as that chilly water begins to make its way South of the Border. :D After that, I've always been warm enough, but yeah, coming out and being in the wind is just brutal.

Wish I could meet up with ya down there, buddy, but as you know, I'm gonna be taking my Gas Passer's course.

Next time ya head down howz about giving me a couple of weeks heads up?

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom