Semidry wetsuit for warmer water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't.

@tbone, so what? "Drysuits are just safer", I see, I didn't get the 'just' part earlier. Because GUE has it written down somewhere, like you can't use air on a 30' dive, crush neoprene is dangerous, bungee wings are dangerous, dry gloves are dangerous, every drysuit except DUI is BS, it's 'streamlined' when your stages point straight up, sidemount is dangerous, light fins are dangerous, everybody else is a stroke (aka a-hole), bla bla bla... tell me when to stop. Did the church of GUE give you a reason too or is it just because pastor George once said so.
Now I understand what you basing your wisdom on... you should have said so right away.

Btw: I don't feel restricted in my 7mm, maybe you should get a better suit.

Great point Captain Obvious! I never said a wet suit is better in cold water. In case you don't know, the Red Sea is pretty warm.

you have a real handle on what GUE (george-praise be upon him) teaches. i'd like to compare notes on our classes some day.
i sure am glad I have jarrod and george to do all my thinking for me. i dont have to waste my mental bandwidth on diving and i can concentrate on more important matters like scubaboard

I don't follow GUE or DIR, but their point on why thick wetsuits at depth are dangerous are valid.

I'm aware the red sea is warm, but nothing is ever going to get me into a wetsuit thicker than 5mm if I can use a drysuit for warmth, just as few things will get me into a drysuit when I can use a 3mm/5mm.

you have a real handle on what GUE (george-praise be upon him) teaches. i'd like to compare notes on our classes some day.
I think have a handle on Georges preachings. They were hard to ignore. I believe that GUE offers good training but I don't see why that would make Georges reasoning any better. What I don't like is a when people claim that their way is the best (for no good reason) and everyone else is a moron.
So, by comparing notes you want to prove you got better training and or/a better diver? Why do you think DIR folk is softening up on things like dry gloves, sidemount and even ccr? Maybe because they realized that the hardline stuff was bs all along?
My point was, that you can't say deep diving in a wet suit is dangerous in any case because it says so in some GUE book or website or whatever.

I think have a handle on Georges preachings. They were hard to ignore. I believe that GUE offers good training but I don't see why that would make Georges reasoning any better. What I don't like is a when people claim that their way is the best (for no good reason) and everyone else is a moron.
So, by comparing notes you want to prove you got better training and or/a better diver? Why do you think DIR folk is softening up on things like dry gloves, sidemount and even ccr? Maybe because they realized that the hardline stuff was bs all along?
My point was, that you can't say deep diving in a wet suit is dangerous in any case because it says so in some GUE book or website or whatever.

no. what i'm driving at is you have had zero gue training and by virtue of that, have zero idea what you're talking about. there's a lot of that going around here lately...

so explain this if they are so wrong. How is diving a rig that is going to become very unbalanced at depth by losing 20+lbs of buoyancy safe or smart when you have an alternative that either does not change at all with depth, or changes very little with depth?

Also how does their opinions on drygloves, CCR, sidemount, etc have any bearing on a simple physics issue regarding deep diving and wetsuits?

... have zero idea what you're talking about. there's a lot of that going around here lately...
Lately? I go by what George wrote. Are you saying that he had no idea also or I didn't understand what he was saying? Even though my English was worse back than, I am pretty sure I got the gist of it. He did say those things I've mentioned were dangerous and that you're an idiot if you're doing/using it. Oh, and I also read some stuff one the GUE website. How is that 'zero idea'.
Also, you asked to compare note because you automatically assume I got sh%&ty training, right? I'll let you know when I'm in Fl next time and you can watch a stroke in action.
Note that I said, I believe GUE offers good training, the part were you have to 'believe' in stuff like, you can never dive air, is what I find silly.

Lately? I go by what George wrote. Are you saying that he had no idea also or I didn't understand what he was saying? Even though my English was worse back than, I am pretty sure I got the gist of it. He did say those things I've mentioned were dangerous and that you're an idiot if you're doing/using it. Oh, and I also read some stuff one the GUE website. How is that 'zero idea'.
Also, you asked to compare note because you automatically assume I got sh%&ty training, right? I'll let you know when I'm in Fl next time and you can watch a stroke in action.
Note that I said, I believe GUE offers good training, the part were you have to 'believe' in stuff like, you can never dive air, is what I find silly.

no. you keep inferring that because of your raging bias.
i'm saying compare notes sarcastically because you have no notes. you haven't had the training so you're talking out of your ass

what if i told you george irvine quit technical diving more than a decade ago and has nothing to do with GUE?

softening on their stance on dry gloves? what are you even talking about? thank god gue divers are ok to use dry gloves now. can't believe it took this long

so explain this if they are so wrong. How is diving a rig that is going to become very unbalanced at depth by losing 20+lbs of buoyancy safe or smart when you have an alternative that either does not change at all with depth, or changes very little with depth?

Also how does their opinions on drygloves, CCR, sidemount, etc have any bearing on a simple physics issue regarding deep diving and wetsuits?
Whatever man, you're keep making up stuff over and over again. Lose 20+ lbs? Right, I think it's more like 100 lbs. How many lbs are 20lbs in fantasy land? Don't answer!
Remember when you told me which cars Germans buy and what kind of car would survive on the autobahn? You 'knew' that too. Those were also 'simple physics' to you.
I surrender tbone, you're the man, you got it all figured out, you remember me of myself when I was 18 or 20 and I thought I knew everything. Spoiler: I was wrong!

"I read some stuff on the GUE website"

lol I'm havin a giggle over here.

We've finally got a real dir expert, guys! Everyone take the cotton out of your ears and stick it in your mouth, Benno read the gue website and some George posts!

no. you keep inferring that because of your raging bias.
i'm saying compare notes sarcastically because you have no notes. you haven't had the training so you're talking out of your ass
What? Why would I have no notes? I got trained, just not GUE trained. I developed my 'raging bias' reading Georges 'online lectures', duh! And you say this has nothing to do with GUE, ey?

what if i told you george irvine quit technical diving more than a decade ago and has nothing to do with GUE?
I was referring to stuff I read 10-15 years ago. GUE probably doesn't want anything to do with G these days for marketing reasons. You can hardly make the argument that GUE and G had nothing to do with each other.

softening on their stance on dry gloves? what are you even talking about? thank god gue divers are ok to use dry gloves now. can't believe it took this long

That was my point. Stuff was not 'DIR' but now it is. I remember a time when people were strokes for using dry gloves.

BTW: The language 'doing it right' and 'stroke' I find pretty ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as when tbone claims that you need 30lbs of weight when diving a 7mm wet suit.

---------- Post added June 30th, 2015 at 09:10 PM ----------

We've finally got a real dir expert, guys!
I said that all I know about it was from the website and from what G wrote back in the day, so don't go all tboney on me and twist my words.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom