separate travel gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can bring your own lights for the manta dive, but I wouldn't bother. They supply massive lights that they stick in a milk crate and point skyward and then every diver also gets an individual light. I think we had about 40 divers from 3 boats the night we did it... no shortage of light there.
Thanks for the tip, that's good to know. The previous times I've heard of night dives they diver was responsible for providing their own lights. Then again, might be a good excuse to come home with a fancy souvenir.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 04:52 PM ----------

@freewillie: People use the term "need" differently, particularly when it comes to buying scuba gear.

I view "need" and "want" as two ends of a spectrum. Appropriate exposure protection is closer to the "need" end. Lightweight "travel-friendly" regs are decidedly on the "want" end. Most other gear falls in the middle somewhere. Where one is traveling and whether there are weight restrictions for the flight to get there should also be considered. Some divers carry a ton of delicate camera gear (camera, backup body, lenses, ports, housing, strobes, arms/tray, etc.). That can complicate packing logistics (# checked luggage pieces, overweight charges, what goes in carry-on vs. checked).
QUOTE]
Yes, but if I tell the nondiving wife it's more of a "want" then I'll still be "wanting" since I won't be able to buy it. If I tell her it's a "need" then I usually can justify coming home with a new toy! If I tell her that it makes diving safer and my daughter will be with me then there is no argument.

I still have pair 3mm tropical booties that I'll take instead of my usual cold water booties. I do have a 3 mm vest which I use now to layer under my 7mm for colder dives and will take that to layer under a 3 mm or use by itself with rash guard depending on water conditions.

My daughter has a 5/7 mm which we'll take since many others have indicated that the waters can be a little chilly and she does get cold quite easily, she said she could always rent a lighter suit there if we needed.

I take whatever the conditions call for. Monterey was drysuit and BPW with Steel plate. Bonaire 3mm and BPW with long hose reg. Florida Keys 5mm and Jacket BC first trip and BPW second trip. Puerto Rico was BPW and 3 mil. I like Florida because I can send gear ahead of time to the op. I now also have an Express Tech and a BPW with an al plate and where I'm going and water temps will decide which to take.

I don't have special travel gear, but I am always very excited to leave my 7mm wetsuit and my hood at home when I head to warm waters :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom