Serious question about cleaning booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geeez, John !!!!
Can't we have any fun ? ? ?
How are ya buddy?
Either one works, vinegar, mouth wash, "Sink-the-Stink", "MiraZyme", a nubile nymphet with a bar of Dove and scrub brush and long, black silky hair flowing over her shoulder as she sits, in her wet, crimson sarong next to the cascading stream . . .

The Kraken:
Well, I suppose the vinegar, if added with a bit of oil, would be a perfect dressing for that little fungus/mushroom salad growing between the toes !!! :l:

Yum-yum gimme some!

The Kraken:
....a nubile nymphet with a bar of Dove and scrub brush and long, black silky hair flowing over her shoulder as she sits, in her wet, crimson sarong next to the cascading stream . . .

Woooohooo dude! That is pretty sweet!

For bootie stink there are two stages, prevention and cure.

When they already stink, you need the cure and the best one is "Sink The Stink" tm, IMNSHO. After the treatment with STS you are on to the prevention stage.

For prevention you need to DRY the booties as soon as possible after every use. If they are DRY within a few hours of use they will not stink.

Trust me on this, I did about 5 years of 200 diving days a year commercially with rec dives on top and it works.

I use a bootie dryer that I made from PVC electrical conduit and a 12VDC fan. This hangs the booties toe up and open end down and blows air through them so they dry very fast.

As long as I put the booties on the dryer within a few hours I never had a stink problem. If they were wet overnight it was stink city and time for STS.

pipedope:
For bootie stink there are two stages, prevention and cure.

When they already stink, you need the cure and the best one is "Sink The Stink" tm, IMNSHO. After the treatment with STS you are on to the prevention stage.

For prevention you need to DRY the booties as soon as possible after every use. If they are DRY within a few hours of use they will not stink.

Trust me on this, I did about 5 years of 200 diving days a year commercially with rec dives on top and it works.

I use a bootie dryer that I made from PVC electrical conduit and a 12VDC fan. This hangs the booties toe up and open end down and blows air through them so they dry very fast.

As long as I put the booties on the dryer within a few hours I never had a stink problem. If they were wet overnight it was stink city and time for STS.
Of course, the king-o-stink is right! :wink:
Dry gloves have the same problem. I built a drying rack for all my stinky stuff using a thrift store hair dryer (copied Uncle Pug) and some PVC. Works perfect.

A couple of times, I've used diluted bleach on booties that need even stronger treatment than sink-the-stink. Obviously, not something you want to repeat often.

As Pipedope says, prevention is the key. On dive trips to humid spots, where booties don't dry out between the night dives and the morning trip, I bring an extra set of booties and alternate.

kulot:
How do you get rid of the awful damp odor that permeates in booties even after they've dried off?

hmmm..... maybe prevention is the best cure?

i say this because my booties don't stink, nor my wetsuit, and i have *never* used
any chemicals on them for over 3 years now.

basically, i put them on a mesh bag at the end of the day, rinse them in fresh
water as soon as i get home, and let them thouroghly dry in an open room
for two or three days before i store them. also, i store all my neoprene gear on
an open closet in the garage, so they're never "locked up" somewhere.

to this day, no funky smell.

now, i do admit that my booties are the only piece that have a very mild scent
to them... it smells a little like mud, but only inside and only if i really sniff.

kulot:
I'd really appreciate a serious reply. Thanks.

Hello. My name is ScubakevDM. I know how you must feel, my booty stinks too. Someone told me once to pour listerine into my booty and shake it all around, so I tried it. I guess it worked okay, except that I didn't squeeze my booty closed tight enough and some minty foam leaked out and got slung all over the bathroom. I might have used too much too, 'cause my booty was never quite the same after it dried. It seemed scratchy and stiff. It really started to chafe. Ow-ee!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom