Setting you Dive Computer to EAN mode 21%

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any benefits to setting your dive computer to EAN mode (21%), when diving on AIR?

ShakaZulu:
Are there any benefits to setting your dive computer to EAN mode (21%), when diving on AIR?

I don't have to fumble through my Vytec's menus with my sausage fingers to change the thing back to Air. I dive in Nitrox mode all the time - just depends on the mix.

To address your question, I'm not aware of any computational (nice, ken...) differences it makes diving it in "air" or diving it in 21% Nitrox.

---
Ken

Some computers [Suunto for example] will let you switch EAN mixtures between dives, but not let you switch from air to EANx... I think.

I seem to recall that it took a couple hours before my computer would let me switch to EANx after an air dive. But when I was in EAN21, I was able to switch it to my hotter mix for the second dive.

my viper does it automatically, I have to change it to a higher mix when I dive nitrox (of course, I'm the one who set it to that default mode) Good question, can't wait for some replies..

On some comps, i know suunto's, not sure about others, it wont let you switch from air to guage to nitrox within 48 hours of your last dive, so if you are switching from air to nitrox between dives its a pain. I always set mine to nitrox and dive @ 21% for air. However when i use it as a BT (guage) one day in the future who knows what i will do :wink:

The way I see it, having a separate Air and Nitrox modes has only 1 purpose:
So that people that don't have Nitrox training can use the computer without having to figure out what they are allowed to "ignore". If you have an Air mode, then you don't have to show partial pressures and oxygen exposures. At least with the Suunto comps, when you are in Air mode, it functions as an electronic, multi-level RDP. Diving Air you worry about NDLs and that's about it. If the computer's "Air" mode was to just set it for EAN21, then you have to tell people what EAN is, what the Partial Pressure reading is, what the Oxgyen exposure bar is, etc, etc.

The loading calculations for Air and EAN21 are the same thing. After I finished my Nitrox certification I started leaving my computer in Nitrox mode.

I've been diving my Vyper in EAN21 mode ever since I first used it on post-BOW dive #1, long before I was Nitrox certified.

Strangely enough, despite scubaboarders who were horrified that a non-Nitrox-certified diver was putting their computer into Nitrox mode, I never died...

lamont:
Strangely enough, despite scubaboarders who were horrified that a non-Nitrox-certified diver was putting their computer into Nitrox mode, I never died...

How dare you set your computer to a Nitrox oxygen fraction when you have not been blessed with a "Nitrox Certified Card"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :11:

Oh, um, 21%, um, lemme see, isn't that...........Mother Nature's Nitrox???????? Duuuuuhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! :eyebrow:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Suuntos track OTUs in Air mode, hence they won't let you switch to nitrox for a while after diving air (24 hours maybe???). I dive EAN21 all of the time if I'm not on nitrox.

ShakaZulu:

Uniformity. Every time I put my computer on my wrist I set the O2 percentage. Makes it less likely that I'll forget to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom