severe neck irritation from my latex neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
hey everyone, I had a few successful dives with my drysuit in my new latex seal. It irritated my neck slightly, but it was no big deal..

well on a beach dive in malibu on friday, it was completely different, my neck got very irritated in a large area, the was a large red band around the front of my neck that hurt alot from the latex seal...it was hurting throughout the dive, and the rash got worse over the next day...

has anyone experienced this before? any idea what causes this, or what I can do about it? its strange that it didn't happen on my first few dives with the new seal...

thanks alot,
Scott

I had a similar thing happen to me at Brownstone Quarry during the DUI dog Days Rally. After two dives with latex neck seals I had a rash thing going on. They recommended an Udder creme, no joke. I guess there is a creme that they put on cow's udders to prevent chapping and it works wonders on the neck. They also had a corn starch base powder that I tried. That worked OK.

After multiple days of diving on the drysuit I will get some irritation. I am intrigued by this "udder creme". It would be "udderly" fantastic as I have a friend who starts to look like he was garroted after a few days. Where could I mozzie over to find this bovine remedy?

Sorry for the puns...I am interested. I did see farmers dipping the teats in some iodine solution after they took the milking machines off. :D

X

thanks everyone so far, looking forward to more responses...

I switched from a neoprene seal because of leaks, so I'm not looking to switch back to neoprene right now...

my first few dives with the latex seal were ok...

I hadn't dove with the drysuit in 5-6 days, and it was just 1 dive that caused the painful rash...

I'm not sure if I could get udder creme around here, I haven't seen many cows in LA county...

scott

hey everyone, I had a few successful dives with my drysuit in my new latex seal. It irritated my neck slightly, but it was no big deal..

well on a beach dive in malibu on friday, it was completely different, my neck got very irritated in a large area, the was a large red band around the front of my neck that hurt alot from the latex seal...it was hurting throughout the dive, and the rash got worse over the next day...

has anyone experienced this before? any idea what causes this, or what I can do about it? its strange that it didn't happen on my first few dives with the new seal...

thanks alot,
Scott

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Bio Seal

Try Aqueous Cream as a lubricant on the neck seal, this has two advantage in that is 1. non-petroleum based (AFAIK!) therefore does not degrade the latex & 2. is water-based so does not irritate the skin. Its available from your local pharmacy.

Try Aqueous Cream as a lubricant on the neck seal, this has two advantage in that is 1. non-petroleum based (AFAIK!) therefore does not degrade the latex & 2. is water-based so does not irritate the skin. Its available from your local pharmacy.

Why do so many excellent products have to come from Ireland or the UK?
I would imagine there is a US equivalent somewhere? Also, the dairy products coming from Ireland are without question some of the best! Saw udders galore when I was there, but no Udder creme being applied. Irish Holsteins and Jerseys don't need it! :)

Cheers for info.,

X

Udder creams of various brands are available at major pharmacy chains like Walgreens, RiteAid, etc. Just look in the womens skin care aisles. If you can't find it ask a clerk, these creams are fairly common.

Mark Vlahos

looks like u have a reaction to the latex...not that uncommon. the reason it didnt bug u tyhe first few times is the latex seal was new and now u have 'worn off' the thin protective coating. try some of the udder cream [ check at any pharmacy they should have something,] and try talc'ing the neck seal before use, might help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom