Sexism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not convinced. It begins with the way her question was raised: "Do we still have an issue with sexism in our industry?"

My thinking is that we may NEVER have had a issue with sexism IN DIVING at all that was any worse or any different than the sexism in general society at large. Posing the question like that is begging the question. It's a logical fallacy and of course as a journalist you should (and do) know better.

So no.... I don't think the choice of forum was an accident. It just tipped her hand. What she's really fishing for is confirmation of her bias.

R..

For the most part, it's been okay. Most of my dive buddies are male, and we help each other out when it comes to loading and unloading kit, kitting up, etc (most of us, including myself, dive twin 12s which are about equal to double HP100s). I'm not the biggest of divers (5'2, 125lbs ish), and will occasionally get comments such as "What are you diving the Titanic with those on your back?" that my male counterparts don't get. Very rarely, I'll get some random who decides to insist on helping me with my kit. I just brush him off, and let him know that besides a helping hand out of my car boot, I'm okay.

It's funny but as I have gotten more comfortable with diving, and older, I mind help less and less, diving or otherwise. I use to be "thank you but I can do it myself" but not anymore. If help is offered in a respectful manner, my response is often "Thank you." But no one, man or woman, should even think of touching another's dive gear without permission.

When so called "help" is condescending or intrusive, that is sexism.

Not convinced. It begins with the way her question was raised: "Do we still have an issue with sexism in our industry?"

My thinking is that we may NEVER have had a issue with sexism IN DIVING at all that was any worse or any different than the sexism in general society at large. Posing the question like that is begging the question. It's a logical fallacy and of course as a journalist you should (and do) know better.

So no.... I don't think the choice of forum was an accident. It just tipped her hand. What she's really fishing for is confirmation of her bias.

R..

I'm guessing you do not know Jill.

We should discuss how normativity restricts divers into roles, that depend on ones [insert attribute here].

People are different, and people want to be treated in various ways irrespecive of [attribute].

Instead of assumption, there should be a question.

Logically we should help the person that needs most help (and wants it). Perhaps that big fat man who's struggling "like a man" and suffering. Or we could ask who is tired and needs a hand.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you do not know Jill.
No but I knew jack before the sex-change ... j/k .... had to get one in so we would remember this is a thread about sexism. :D

It's a name that wouldn't ring a bell in conversation but if you click on her website then the first word you see is "Women" and the first menu item says "consultant and thought leader" and that kind of thing so it gives a certain first impression.

If you click through to the bio then it lists things like "Women diver's hall of fame", "living legend", "sea hero" and "life time achievement", while pointing out that what she does is "dangerous" and that she's been to "lawless" places in the middle of civil wars to dive and compares herself to the first astronauts to walk on the moon.... which gives a reasonably good view on the kind of public image she would like to project.

I don't want to be insulting but once again, I think there is an agenda here.... There are others on Scubaboard (I am not one of them) who have similar CV's and credentials and are a lot more modest about it. It plays straight into an allergy I have. I used to work in a consultancy where every single employee thought they were a "thought leader", which just meant that there were bunch of people running around acting all opinionated and full of themselves without really adding anything of value to important debates.

Real thought leaders don't run around telling people to "wait for it".... they're too busy blazing a trail.

R..

No but I knew jack before the sex-change ... j/k .... had to get one in so we would remember this is a thread about sexism. :D

It's a name that wouldn't ring a bell in conversation but if you click on her website then the first word you see is "Women" and the first menu item says "consultant and thought leader" and that kind of thing so it gives a certain first impression.

If you click through to the bio then it lists things like "Women diver's hall of fame", "living legend", "sea hero" and "life time achievement", while pointing out that what she does is "dangerous" and that she's been to "lawless" places in the middle of civil wars to dive and compares herself to the first astronauts to walk on the moon.... which gives a reasonably good view on the kind of public image she would like to project.

I don't want to be insulting but once again, I think there is an agenda here.... There are others on Scubaboard (I am not one of them) who have similar CV's and credentials and are a lot more modest about it. It plays straight into an allergy I have. I used to work in a consultancy where every single employee thought they were a "thought leader", which just meant that there were bunch of people running around acting all opinionated and full of themselves without really adding anything of value to important debates.

Real thought leaders don't run around telling people to "wait for it".... they're too busy blazing a trail.

R..

Like I said but now stronger, it is clear you do not know Jill. Your loss!

Oh wait, this is just to good. You acknowledge Sexism exists in general society, and since it does it is ok for it to exist in diving, and therefore not an issue at all?

:rofl3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom